Question USB ports work for a random amount of time then "break".

Jul 15, 2021
I have this weird problem with ALL of my USB ports where they just stop recieving input and my keyboard's lights start flickering and trying to move the mouse, type anything, or try to speak on discord the PC doesnt react in any way. I get output to my headphones but it has some random crackling here and there. Sometimes the USB ports do a thing where for a second the above thing happens but only with my mouse and keyboard. When any of the disconnects or whatever happen the PC acts like if all the things are being pressed down etc. (For example if im moving my mouse and trying to move forward in a game the PC acts like im still holding W and turning my mouse). All this can happen all of a sudden from straight up when i start up the PC to many hours after ive started it up. Rebooting my PC fixes this problem until it happens again. I really dont want to work on any of my game projects since i often forget to save and the game engine doesnt have an autosave feature, meaning that if this USB problem randomly comes up i have to force shutdown my PC, losing all of my progress that i didnt remember to save.

Edit: forgot to add my PC specs, they will be below.

GTX 1050TI 4GB
I5-2500K 3.30GHz
12GB DDR3
1TB crucial ssd
ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO
500-550W PSU cant remember exactly maybe even 400-450
Sense eye3
Some philips mini tv
Windows 10 home single language

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Are all USB devices obtaining power directly from the host computer?

Or are some or all devices obtaining power via an independently powered USB hub? If possible test with an independently powered USB hub.

Take a look at the PSU and get its' make, model, wattage. Age, condition? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time the USB ports stop receiving input, etc..

As an initial thought the PSU is a likely suspect. It may have degraded to the point where it can no longer provide the necessary voltage(s) and/or wattage requirements of the supported computer and attached USB peripherals.

= = = =

Note: Ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x and to locations off of the PC in question. Verify that all backups are recoverable and readable.

It does not matter what the end problem turns out to be. Something is wrong and any failures, in part or in whole, could cause data loss.

Hopefully you are already in the habit of making regular backups.

Jul 15, 2021

Or are some or all devices obtaining power via an independently powered USB hub? If possible test with an independently powered USB hub.

Take a look at the PSU and get its' make, model, wattage. Age, condition? Heavy gaming use - correct?

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time the USB ports stop receiving input, etc..

As an initial thought the PSU is a likely suspect. It may have degraded to the point where it can no longer provide the necessary voltage(s) and/or wattage requirements of the supported computer and attached USB peripherals.

= = = =

Note: Ensure that all important data is backed up at least 2 x and to locations off of the PC in question. Verify that all backups are recoverable and readable.

It does not matter what the end problem turns out to be. Something is wrong and any failures, in part or in whole, could cause data loss.

Thanks ill make sure to check the stuff out when im next time on my pc, i really dont have anywhere to save my data but everything on my pc arent that important. I could format the drive, install back 1-2 games and discord and id be good to go

Jul 15, 2021

= = = =

ok I checked the event viewer and the other thing, there's nothing that I can see since at the time of testing there didn't come up any new anything when the problem happened. if I'm not completely wrong it started happening only after I updated windows but I'm not 100% certain on that

edit: forgot to mention, there's 3 USB controller things that control the USB ports, 2 for the back and 1 for the front but they all stop working when the problem occurs.

Ralston18

Titan
More information about the USB controller.

How and where are you seeing the information?

Device Manager?

Have you tried "Scan for Hardware Changes" by right clicking USB devices?

Try running the Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors

Jul 15, 2021
More information about the USB controller.

How and where are you seeing the information?

Device Manager?

Have you tried "Scan for Hardware Changes" by right clicking USB devices?

Try running the Windows' built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/deployment/fix-windows-update-errors
i ran the sfc /scannow command, do I send you the CBS log?
Edit: it said it found corrupt files and fixed them, ill see if the problem persists

Ralston18

Titan
For now skip the logs.

If the problem persists there are two things:

1) Check Update History for any failed or problem updates.

2) Run "sfc /scannow" / "dism" again. You may need to work through corrupted files as if in layers.

Allow Windows time to do restarts and updates that may have failed or otherwise not executed because of corrupted files.

Watch for any error codes, pop-up windows, etc. that may indicate what Windows is doing or trying to do....

Reactions: GeniuneFraud
Jul 15, 2021
For now skip the logs.

If the problem persists there are two things:

1) Check Update History for any failed or problem updates.

2) Run "sfc /scannow" / "dism" again. You may need to work through corrupted files as if in layers.

Allow Windows time to do restarts and updates that may have failed or otherwise not executed because of corrupted files.

Watch for any error codes, pop-up windows, etc. that may indicate what Windows is doing or trying to do....
problem still continues to exist, neither of the commands did anything, also nothing in the update history there's nothing that has failed, could it be the motherboard failing since its so old? i have a newer one with a better cpu and better ram in another pc

Ralston18

Titan
As a matter of elimination it could be narrowing down to the motherboard.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all around (inside and out) all USB ports and nearby connections. Look for any signs that metal is touching metal where it should not be doing so. Just wiggle things, look for bare conductor showing, a fan that moves or shifts a bit opposite of the air flow as if the fan was on.

If possible borrow an independently powered USB hub. Connect the USB peripherals to the hub and then the hub to the computer's various USB ports.

Determine if that makes any difference.

Jul 15, 2021
As a matter of elimination it could be narrowing down to the motherboard.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Use a bright flashlight to inspect all around (inside and out) all USB ports and nearby connections. Look for any signs that metal is touching metal where it should not be doing so. Just wiggle things, look for bare conductor showing, a fan that moves or shifts a bit opposite of the air flow as if the fan was on.

If possible borrow an independently powered USB hub. Connect the USB peripherals to the hub and then the hub to the computer's various USB ports.

Determine if that makes any difference.
I've already tried checking the insides, it was the second thing I did after driver updates

Jul 15, 2021
Another thing ive noticed and probably forgot to mention when making this post was that normally when my pc shuts down my mouse still has the lights on but now when i shut down the pc they go out after a few seconds

Jul 15, 2021

= = = =

560 W
LC6560GP3 i think

Jul 15, 2021
Late question: make and model information for mouse and keyboard. Both USB - correct?

What software are you using to monitor mouse "status"?
i don't use anything to "monitor" the mouse's "status", the mouse is a macs ronin200 and the keyboard is a sidewinder X4. my headset is some trust GXT that I have no info about, cant find it in their website.

Edit: all of the things I listed above are connected via USB and to my knowledge the only USB things I have connected unless I connect my quest 2 headset

Ralston18

Titan
"Ive noticed that the keyboard lights flicker each time my mouse "updates" its status "

So you mean that the lights flicker when the mouse is being moved?

More and more seeming to be power problem. Either the PSU being unable to provide proper voltage and wattage to USB devices and/or a loose connection (plug,port) or a component that causes interim power losses. Could be on the motherboard.

How tight are the plug/port connections for the installed USB devices? Full and firmly in place?

Can you gently wiggle and jiggle plugs (without moving the mouse) and cause the flickering?

Jul 15, 2021
"Ive noticed that the keyboard lights flicker each time my mouse "updates" its status "

So you mean that the lights flicker when the mouse is being moved?

More and more seeming to be power problem. Either the PSU being unable to provide proper voltage and wattage to USB devices and/or a loose connection (plug,port) or a component that causes interim power losses. Could be on the motherboard.

How tight are the plug/port connections for the installed USB devices? Full and firmly in place?

Can you gently wiggle and jiggle plugs (without moving the mouse) and cause the flickering?
yeah by "update" i meant move, not sure what I was doing there

Ralston18

Titan
No worries. Sometimes posters are using translators and/or English is not their primary language.

Easy enough to just ask and clarify when words do not seem to fit.

= = = =

I am still leaning towards a power problem.

And there are a some things that can still be done.

Open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor (actually use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Boot as normal - open one or the other (as admin) and just watch for a while. The performance window and graphs will be the most interesting.

Then start moving the mouse about and and watch what changes and perhaps "peaks". Try to do other things that cause the flicker.

Objective being to find some repeatable set of actions where you can create the flicker(s) at will.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021
No worries. Sometimes posters are using translators and/or English is not their primary language.

Easy enough to just ask and clarify when words do not seem to fit.

= = = =

I am still leaning towards a power problem.

And there are a some things that can still be done.

Open either Task Manager or Resource Monitor (actually use both but only one at a time) to observe system performance.

Boot as normal - open one or the other (as admin) and just watch for a while. The performance window and graphs will be the most interesting.

Then start moving the mouse about and and watch what changes and perhaps "peaks". Try to do other things that cause the flicker.

Objective being to find some repeatable set of actions where you can create the flicker(s) at will.
the USB problems come when my PC is under load (such as playing some games that require a bit of resources)

Edit: On games such as roblox or Minecraft on max settings it works fine 99.99% of the time unless I've played for many many hours but if I play something like payday 2 or something more demanding it happens way earlier.

Ralston18

Titan
PSU even more suspect then.

How old is it? Heavy gaming use? Or perhaps Video editing?

Seems that the PSU starts faltering after many hours of playing which warms things up.

More intensive games just make that happen all the sooner.

Remember that PSUs' provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to the host computer's components.-

If the PSU is unable to steadily provide the necessary volts and wattage to any one or more components then problems begin.

Jul 15, 2021
PSU even more suspect then.

How old is it? Heavy gaming use? Or perhaps Video editing?

Seems that the PSU starts faltering after many hours of playing which warms things up.

More intensive games just make that happen all the sooner.

Remember that PSUs' provide three different voltages (3, 5, and 12) to the host computer's components.-

If the PSU is unable to steadily provide the necessary volts and wattage to any one or more components then problems begin.
Alright, any way you could check if its the specific PSU I'm using? the model is a LC6560GP3 560W?

Ralston18

Titan
Googled "LC6560GP3 560W reviews"

One of the first resulting links:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/lc-power-lc6560gp3-v2-3-green-power-560w.1784755/

Also found and old from within this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/lc-power-lc6650gp3-v2-3-green-power.193068/

https://www.pc-specs.com/psu/LC_Power/LC_Power_LC6560GP3_V2.3/846

(Third link: Apparently PSU really did not receive a 80+ Certificate.)

So "check results" = old PSU that received poor reviews.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) you can do some limited testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any out of tolerance voltages would be another sign of a failing PSU. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.

Jul 15, 2021
Googled "LC6560GP3 560W reviews"

One of the first resulting links:

https://www.overclock.net/threads/lc-power-lc6560gp3-v2-3-green-power-560w.1784755/

Also found and old from within this Forum:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/lc-power-lc6650gp3-v2-3-green-power.193068/

https://www.pc-specs.com/psu/LC_Power/LC_Power_LC6560GP3_V2.3/846

(Third link: Apparently PSU really did not receive a 80+ Certificate.)

So "check results" = old PSU that received poor reviews.

If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it (or know someone who does) you can do some limited testing on the PSU.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Any out of tolerance voltages would be another sign of a failing PSU. Not a full test because the PSU is not under load.
Alr, had this pc since like 2012 or something maybe even 2010 so I've never bothered checking the PSU or anything lol.

Jul 15, 2021
I have this weird problem with ALL of my USB ports where they just stop recieving input and my keyboard's lights start flickering and trying to move the mouse, type anything, or try to speak on discord the PC doesnt react in any way. I get output to my headphones but it has some random crackling here and there. Sometimes the USB ports do a thing where for a second the above thing happens but only with my mouse and keyboard. When any of the disconnects or whatever happen the PC acts like if all the things are being pressed down etc. (For example if im moving my mouse and trying to move forward in a game the PC acts like im still holding W and turning my mouse). All this can happen all of a sudden from straight up when i start up the PC to many hours after ive started it up. Rebooting my PC fixes this problem until it happens again. I really dont want to work on any of my game projects since i often forget to save and the game engine doesnt have an autosave feature, meaning that if this USB problem randomly comes up i have to force shutdown my PC, losing all of my progress that i didnt remember to save.

Edit: forgot to add my PC specs, they will be below.

GTX 1050TI 4GB
I5-2500K 3.30GHz
12GB DDR3
1TB crucial ssd
ASUSTeK P8Z68-V PRO
500-550W PSU cant remember exactly maybe even 400-450
Sense eye3
Some philips mini tv
Windows 10 home single language
Full specs here (hopefully): https://pastebin.com/3JXK0ZrY

Ralston18

Titan
You can try cleaning the pc and reseating all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers.

Which should be done on a regular basis anyway....

If possible borrow another known working PSU - 600 watts at least.

Install and then test by working as normal. If problems continue check the error codes for any changes.

TRENDING THREADS