[SOLVED] usb ports work while in BIOS but deactivate after boot

Niac111

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
I've upgraded several items (GPU, MOBO, CPU, and RAM) however, I'm trying to use my old hard drives and SSD. I can boot into Windows 7 and look at my desktop, but can't use my mouse, keyboard, or even charge my phone... It's right before the "Starting windows" load-up that the lights for my mouse and keyboard turn off, and no USB ports are active. I've been trying to solve and trouble-shoot for a week now and haven't found a solution. I should mention that the first couple successful boots, Windows' hot-bar message told me that it failed to download drivers. Of course, It didn't tell me which ones (could be drivers for USB ports?). Moreover, earlier during my diagnostics, my mouse and keyboard still remained turned on (lights) but no movement or keys functioned, this has since changed... After many hours of research I believe that my issue lies in a dirty boot. I literally kept all of my drives plugged in, I dont have windows on a CD or USB at my house, So I booted Windows on my SSD with many other programs and files nearly at it's max capacity from years of use. Pressing on, I can't check to see if my USB port drivers work because I dont have a Mouse or keyboard, they work on my laptop and work in BIOs though... Driver issue or HDD/SDD issue?

**Specs:
CPU: intel i5-9600k
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1080
MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO
RAM: RIPJAWS 4 (DDR4)
SSD: SanDisk 128G
HDD x 2: 1T

**OLD SET-UP (have since been swapped):
CPU: Intel i5 4760
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 1060
MOBO: ASUS Z87-A
RAM: Kingston Hyperx black (DDR3)

If you need more information reguarding my situation please ask!!
Thanks in advance!!

Here's a vid of my issue for further diagnostic:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vNjtg4PaUXX9yS-nDZIfEv-hbJVJPspx

Solution
its a driver issue. thre BIOS does not need a driver but windows does and the drivers available are not for windows 7.
there are no windows 7 drivers available for that motherboard to my knowledge.
windows loads, sees the USB and without a driver cannot tell if the ports are a GPU or a network card and so its disabled which disables everything attached..

I suggest you install windows 10, you do not need a key or to activate to verify that the issue is the old OS and no USB drivers for it.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
its a driver issue. thre BIOS does not need a driver but windows does and the drivers available are not for windows 7.
windows loads, sees the USB and without a driver cannot tell if the ports are a GPU or a network card and so its disabled which disables everything attached..

I suggest you install windows 10, you do not need a key or to activate to verify that the issue is the old OS and no USB drivers for it.

Solution

Niac111

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019

Ok! If i got a torrent and loaded it on to a USB could I continue to use my old HDDs and SSD? If so, I'll boot with just my SSD plugged.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
you can install it from USB, but you will still need a drive to install it to.
if you do not have a drive you may need to format one to install to.
do not have any other drives connected while installing windows 10. windows likes to "share the wealth" and may store needed boot files on another connected drive. to ensure this does not happen install 10 with only the target drive installed and connected. after installation you can connect the other drives.

Niac111

Reputable
Oct 16, 2019
you can install it from USB, but you will still need a drive to install it to.
if you do not have a drive you may need to format one to install to.
do not have any other drives connected while installing windows 10. windows likes to "share the wealth" and may store needed boot files on another connected drive. to ensure this does not happen install 10 with only the target drive installed and connected. after installation you can connect the other drives.
Cool~ I bought a new SSD and have installed win10 on it. Now i've plugged my other HDD's and old SSD back in. Should I just flat out delete win7 now? will having a win7 folder in win10 disrupt certain functions? I would like to make some extra space, but thought I should ask before doing something rash. Thanks far all of your help btw ^^