[SOLVED] USB stick formating

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I downloaded Memtest86 and had to format my USB stick to do it. After conducting the test my USB appears weird when I try to go into the properties and look at the details and there seems to be an additional partition and the capacity seems to be locked at 512 mb out of the 32 GB full capacity. What do I have to do exactly to change it back to how it looked like before?

Solution
@USAFRet I followed the instructions but now when I insert the USB nothing comes up in my file explorer but I can hear my computer detected it. I think it may be hidden somehow. How do I format it to get my capacity back?

When looking at doing the Memtest I did not know that I would need to reformat the USB so I used what I had.
You deleted the partitions in Disk Management?
Then what did you do?

Please show us a screencap of your DM window.

Likely, you just need to create a New Simple Volume, Format, and give it a drive letter.

USAFRet

Titan
Commandline function diskpart, and the clean command.

Be very very sure of which device you are accessing. clean is a one way street.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/format-hard-drive-command-prompt,37632.html

You should be able to format the stick.
But, usb sticks are cheap and I would just buy a couple for whatever you might use it for.
Keep the memtest86 for diagnostic purposes.
You might also buy one for bios updates.
You can use your windows installation usb to run memtest, it's absurd to hog a 32Gb stick just for memtest.
Heck get hiren's boot PE and stick that on a usb alongside a couple of linux distros.
You can use YUMI or any other similar app (ventoy seems to be very popular lately) to put a bunch of useful isos on the same usb.

dragonfly22588

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
@USAFRet I followed the instructions but now when I insert the USB nothing comes up in my file explorer but I can hear my computer detected it. I think it may be hidden somehow. How do I format it to get my capacity back?

When looking at doing the Memtest I did not know that I would need to reformat the USB so I used what I had.

USAFRet

Titan

You deleted the partitions in Disk Management?
Then what did you do?

Please show us a screencap of your DM window.

Likely, you just need to create a New Simple Volume, Format, and give it a drive letter.

Solution