[SOLVED] USB stuck on Write Protection

IgnorantSwine335

Commendable
Dec 19, 2019
Hello, I have a USB that randomly started saying it was write protected one day. I've tried different methods to remove it (diskpart, formatting, registry edit, the sharing thing, manually changing files to not read-only, scan for viruses) but none of them worked. I also tried the usb on 2 different computers and multiple ports.

Here is something weird I saw on diskpart:
diskpart.jpg

All I did on diskpart was try to clear the attributes. What is the command for a wipe?

Select the disk then do a "clean" command. That will delete (or try to) any partitions on the drive. Then you can use disk management to create a new partition. But also check the switch as above, some drives do have a manual switch for read only.

Often failed flash drives give the message about being write protected but it's actually a bad drive in general.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

IgnorantSwine335

Commendable
Dec 19, 2019
This might sound a bit silly, but some USB keys/discs have a little switch embedded in the casing for write protection, does yours?

Select the disk then do a "clean" command. That will delete (or try to) any partitions on the drive. Then you can use disk management to create a new partition. But also check the switch as above, some drives do have a manual switch for read only.

Often failed flash drives give the message about being write protected but it's actually a bad drive in general.

I didn't see a switch anywhere.

I tried clean and it said: "Diskpart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. See the System event Log for more information."

TRENDING THREADS