Question USB tethering smartphone to PC - terribly slow on one PC only

maximum-cache

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
I'm trying to USB tether my smartphone to my PC (the latter is running Win 10 Pro). It works but it's terribly slow.

However, if I move the same smartphone (and USB cable) to another Windows 10 PC the USB tethered speed is nice and fast, as is also the case on a Windows 8.1 laptop.

I can't figure out why it's so slow on my main Windows 10 PC.

I tried disabling the virus checker just in case there was some conflict but no result.

The USB ports on my main PC are fine with other unrelated devices so I don't think it's a port issue.

Any ideas please why USB tethering is slow slow on just one PC? (note: it's fully updated with Windows updates, as is the other Windows 10 PC (and of course the 8.1 laptop)).

Hey there,

Where are the PC's located? If you're on mobile signal even a drywall can cause issues. Are there other devices that might affect bandwidth? Have you tried the PC on 5g wifi connection with the phonme? You can try this in the phone settings. Just make sure dualband 2.4/5g is enabled.

maximum-cache

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Thanks for the reply.

It's definitely not a signal issue as I've tried my Win 8,.1 laptop in the same room as my main PC and the tethering works fine with the laptop but very slow with the PC.

Nope, no other devices which could affect the bandwidth.

Sadly I can't get 5G, only 4G (but, as mentioned, that speed is fine on the other PC and the laptop).

I'm 100% certain it's some kind of problem with the main PC.

maximum-cache

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
One thing that I should also add is the erratic nature of loading some sites - they're all still terribly slow but I find that I can, for example, at least load google and reddit consistently while other sites won't load at all or only load partially (such as wikipedia). To reiterate: this only applies to my main PC. Email is also very slow to access, as are any updates to any of my installed software, therefore it's not a browser issue.