Discussion USB to SATA adapter recommendation to update SSD firmware

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Hello

I have this SSD model

* Western Digital 1TB WD Blue SA510 SATA Internal Solid State Drive SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s, 2.5"/7mm, Up to 560 MB/s - WDS100T3B0A

I have the two following situations based with this SSD:

* After apt upgrade - failed to start VirtualBox Linux Kernel - I/O error, dev sda?
* What does “SMART ATA Error Log Structure error: invalid SMART checksum.” mean?

After to did do a research in the same WD page, there is available firmware updates for this model.

I am not sure if this update would resolve my problem, but according with my understanding it prevents future failures. Pls confirm if I am not correct.

The reason of this post, the software available by WD is only available for Windows. And practically I use this SSD in Linux, I have other SSDs of the same model in their packages yet and to be installed in Linux too. It either Ubuntu or Fedora.

I want to know if the following idea is viable or not:

1) Buy a USB to SATA adapter
2) Install in a laptop A with Windows the WD software to update the firmware and furthermore its own scanner tool. In total 2 sofwares
2) Remove from the laptop B the current SSD with Ubuntu to be connected to the laptop A through the USB/SATA adapter. Practically how a pendrive or flash memory. Therefore just to use it to scan it and to install the latest firmware. I am assuming that the WD tools are like GParted, I mean able to select the disk and run the software
3) Do the same as (2) for the others SSDs. Remember they are in their packages yet. Therefore open each pack, connect to the USB/SATA adapter and do the rest ... of course only and mostly the firmware update.

Pls let me know if it has sense or is incorrect, if is the latter what would be the recommendable approach? If is viable, pls share the best suggestion of the mentioned USB/SATA adapter to buy it on Amazon.
It for USB 2.0/3.0 and USB type C pls.

Thanks for your understanding

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I tried (and it probably varies from drive to drive) fir ware updating with a dock and the software didn't see the drive.

Not to mention, anything goes wrong it's cooked. I'd do it properly even if it's some extra work.

A possible less time consuming alternative is a live Windkws Boot environment but don't the firmware tool may or may not like it.

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
Thanks for the replies

I had the intention to create a discussion similar as this but based on docking ... It seems docking is better because enables use multiple HD types.

I tried (and it probably varies from drive to drive) fir ware updating with a dock and the software didn't see the drive.

First time I heard about that case

Not to mention, anything goes wrong it's cooked

It like a pendrive, when an error happens and breaks the connection at realtime

I'd do it properly even if it's some extra work.

What do you mean?

Thanks for the link, Could exist a dock for HD for HDD, SSD (2.5'' and M2) together?