USB Type-C Authentication Protocol To Allow Blocking Of Uncertified And Malicious USB Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

IspotU

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
That is interesting, but still a little too soon for me to get on board. I am looking forward to a mass implementation of C. It would be nice to not have to fight so much with USB devices in small cramped spaces.

jellysalt

Commendable
Apr 13, 2016
While a cable is a passive part, how to use 128-bit security cryptographic methods to authenticate it ?

G

how the hell plugging a usb device can spread malicious malware

Why hasn't t this been a problem with "out dated" mico-USB devices?
Previous USB solutions were simpler and less complicated.
Now USB Type-C charges and devices have chips and besides power it can support bi-directional power, video (DisplayPort, HDMI, VGA), Thunderbolt and also replace all other USB formats (Type-A, Type-B, Mini-USB, Micro-USB), Ethernet, etc.
Chips with data are embedded USB type-C devices and besides the danger on the data on them, cheaply made devices could draw too much power from a device connected to it and fry it or blow it up in your face.
Until USB Type-C, USB devices did not have data chips on them nor draw such amount of power from devices like laptops.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
And what's to stop Evil China/Russia-Corp from using a legit certification to manufacture 100s of 1000s of malware infected chargers they plan to sell on Ebay? Will our USB-C devices need constant security updates to know which manufacture certificates are invalided. Good luck with that if you running a Mobile-Carrier version of android.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
I'm certainly hoping it's a step towards addressing BadUSB, it's an understated vulnerability.
I'm also fairly concerned about Thunderbolt/PCIe. That has a very similar vulnarability as BadUSB, and now Type-C is the standard connector for Thunderbolt 3

DanManB

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016
I have mixed feelings about this. I support this so that bad chargers cannot screw up batteries and malware cannot be spread. However, I feel that some manufacturers will use this for monopolistic purposes and may use this to block custom firmware on some devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.