[SOLVED] USB upstream on a Dell monitor

gr3g0ree

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2012
Hi all

I'm trying to connect the new monitor to my laptop with the USB cable but for some reason the screen does not connect to my laptop, or vice versa.

Monitor: Dell 24 Monitor: P2421D with 1 x USB 3.0 upstream and a USB cable with blue ends with which to connect the monitor and the laptop. When I connect them the little noise tells me its connected, but the screen is not extended from the laptop to the monitor.
The input source on the monitor has 'Auto', 'DP', and 'HDMI'. There's no 'USB' option.
Laptop: Inspiron 15 7000 with USB SS connectors (none of them has the blue inside, but I remember having 1x USB 3 port. Or maybe not?

What am I missing here?

Option B will be to get either a HDMI to HDMI cable (most likely 1.4) or a DP to HDMI cable.

Thank You all for any answer.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
Hi all

I'm trying to connect the new monitor to my laptop with the USB cable but for some reason the screen does not connect to my laptop, or vice versa.

Monitor: Dell 24 Monitor: P2421D with 1 x USB 3.0 upstream and a USB cable with blue ends with which to connect the monitor and the laptop. When I connect them the little noise tells me its connected, but the screen is not extended from the laptop to the monitor.
The input source on the monitor has 'Auto', 'DP', and 'HDMI'. There's no 'USB' option.
Laptop: Inspiron 15 7000 with USB SS connectors (none of them has the blue inside, but I remember having 1x USB 3 port. Or maybe not?

What am I missing here?

Option B will be to get either a HDMI to HDMI cable (most likely 1.4) or a DP to HDMI cable.

Thank You all for any answer.
Pretty sure those USB ports are a USB hub and not for video...