USB WiFi Adapter Drivers for Raspberry Pi

Soham1080p

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
I wanted to make a Wireless Access Point out of my Raspberry Pi which would encrypt all my data requests into the Tor Network. But I am finding it very hard to get a compatible USB WiFi Adapter.

Now I got this Adapter with a RTL8188EUS chipset (that's what the driver files said, not any properties), but it does not install into Raspbian. This adapter works out-of-the-box with RaspBMC (the XBMC distro for Raspberry Pi), but needs manual driver installation on Raspbian.

The CD that I got with the WiFi Adapter had a folder called Linux, which contained a zip file. On exploring the zip file, I found a folder called driver which contained a .tar.gz file.

Now I tried following the other help pages online, but the part called './configure' gave an error output, and 'make' and 'sudo make install' also gave similar outputs.

Can anyone give me a set of commands to run so I can install these drivers?

emdea22

Distinguished
Make sure you install the prerequisites. Have no clue what they might be or what linux version is Rasbian based off. You should try to search for other network drivers install tutorials and maybe you'll figure out what you need to install first.

Soham1080p

Reputable
Aug 22, 2014
The error outputs were that it could not find a directory.
It is a Comfast 150N USB WiFi Adapter, but has a RTL8188EUS chipset.

Raspbian is based on Debian Wheezy, if that helps.

You need couple of packages installed in order to be able to compile the driver. It would be much easier if you got a known-to-have-drivers-included WiFi adapter, though...
Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get install build-essentials gcc
Start with that, and post the output of your ./configure and make commands on e.g. pastebin