Question Usb Wifi Adapter not Working

Vauxlient

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I bought an Inamax Bluetooth WiFi adapter for my desktop PC and it connects and has full strength but isn't connected to the internet.

Windows diagnostic returns with DNS server not responding but doesn't give any additional info on how to fix it.

Something else that happens is that anything connected to WiFi (phone, game system etc) no longer connects to the internet when the adapter is connected.

Not sure what to do from here and would appreciate any help.

Last edited:

Vauxlient

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I found out that connecting the adapter causes everything connected to the internet to stop working (DNS errors) even after turning off the computer. I have to unplug the router and then plug it back in for everything to work again.

Vauxlient

Commendable
May 29, 2016
This may be a faulty wifi dongle or some form of malware. Id scan your system for malware and then try to get a replacement dongle.
I received another adapter and the internet on the computer worked for awhile (five minutes or so) but then just like before I get DNS errors on everything connected to the router.

See if you can actually log into the router. You may have to configure the router to allow access from a wifi device. If you can not access the router from any device it may be a issue with the router.

DNS error means very little since it will say that when it has issues with a actual DNS or the internet is down.

When it is having issues try to ping 8.8.8.8

If you can ping 8.8.8.8 it means your internet is actually active. I would then set the dns in you pc to 8.8.8.8 in the ipv4 settings and see if it really resolves.

Vauxlient

Commendable
May 29, 2016
See if you can actually log into the router. You may have to configure the router to allow access from a wifi device. If you can not access the router from any device it may be a issue with the router.

DNS error means very little since it will say that when it has issues with a actual DNS or the internet is down.

When it is having issues try to ping 8.8.8.8

If you can ping 8.8.8.8 it means your internet is actually active. I would then set the dns in you pc to 8.8.8.8 in the ipv4 settings and see if it really resolves.
Set the DNS to 8.8.8.8 on the PC or in the router?

Even when everything no longer connects I am able to still connect to the router through 192.168.0.1 and it shows that it's connected to the internet but nothing is.

How would I configure the router to allow access to a WiFi device? I didn't think that would matter because everything connected to it is through wifi

If you got in the router then there is no issue. Some routers only allow you to login to them via the lan ethernet ports.

I would set the 8.8.8.8 in the PC. You can set it in the router itself if you want.

A DNS problem could be the ISP DNS is down which changing to 8.8.8.8 in the route will fix. The other issue with DNS is your router acts as a proxy. The default setting for most routers is that the PC has a DNS that points to the router. So it sends its DNS requests to the router and the router forwards them on to the real DNS server. Sometime the router has issues doing this proxy function.

Setting it in the PC solve both issues.

It may not really be a DNS issue though.

Some routers have the ability to run ping and even speedtests from the router. That would also be a way to see if the internet really is up.