[SOLVED] USB Wifi Dual Band High Gain Adapter for PC

priyankshishodia

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
Hello Everyone, i Need to purchase a USB Wifi Adapter that give high speeds to My PC on 5Ghz Network. My PC is kept at a distance of 15 to 20 feet in other room. My Router is Tp Link Archer C6. I have shortlisted two adapters, TP Link Archer T9UH and Netgear A7000 adapter. Which one would be best overall in performance and budget? Do Both have MIMO and Beamforming? Is MIMO and Beamforming different?

Solution
They both have mimo not sure about beam forming. Beam forming is mostly one of those theoretical things. It is very hard to say how much if any advantage a person in a real life install gets. You can show things in lab setups but it is not one of those obvious things where you turn it on and you can see a improvement when you test at home.

I suspect either of those adapters will work about the same. I have not checked they may actually use the same chipset. Key is they are physically larger units that are mounted externally from the computer on a USB cable. That is the main feature that improves the performance on a USB device.
They both have mimo not sure about beam forming. Beam forming is mostly one of those theoretical things. It is very hard to say how much if any advantage a person in a real life install gets. You can show things in lab setups but it is not one of those obvious things where you turn it on and you can see a improvement when you test at home.

I suspect either of those adapters will work about the same. I have not checked they may actually use the same chipset. Key is they are physically larger units that are mounted externally from the computer on a USB cable. That is the main feature that improves the performance on a USB device.

Solution

priyankshishodia

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014

Thanks for the reply. Archer T9UH does't Mention MIMO on its website, but shows beamforming. I am actually confused due to this.

priyankshishodia

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
You can tell by the magic numbers they put on routers. This more tells the encoding than the speed. 1900 means 3x3 mimo running at 200 to get 600 and 3x3 mimo running at 433 to get 1300. Which the idiots then add together to get the 1900 number.
Okay, thats what these numbers mean. Thanks for the information. One more thing, Netgear A7000 mentions explicit beamforming while T9UH just mentions beamforming, so are they different?

I don't know never really looked at it much beamforming is more marketing hype than something really useful. The main problem is the signal may not actually go in a direct path. Wifi many times will bounce off walls and then go through a open door rather than go directly through walls. Part of the bouncing around of signals and the tiny difference in delays is what makes mimo work.

So I went in and looked up those parts in one of the databases. They use the same realtek RTL8814AU chipset so they are likely identical since the drivers also come from realtek.

priyankshishodia

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2014
I don't know never really looked at it much beamforming is more marketing hype than something really useful. The main problem is the signal may not actually go in a direct path. Wifi many times will bounce off walls and then go through a open door rather than go directly through walls. Part of the bouncing around of signals and the tiny difference in delays is what makes mimo work.

So I went in and looked up those parts in one of the databases. They use the same realtek RTL8814AU chipset so they are likely identical since the drivers also come from realtek.
Ok. then i'll go with Archer T9UH, its cheaper at amazon. Thanks for the help, Great forum as always and great people.