Question USB works for WD passport but nothing else

vap

May 20, 2020
Hello,

I have searched everywhere for a solution and have tried everything, including reinstalling windows with no fix. My 2 front USB 3.0 ports on my pc have suddenly stopped working. Device manager shows no exclamation marks for errors when devices are plugged in and doesn't even register. I have only been using these ports to plug in my phone for data transfer (pixel 2), a ps3 controller, and my WD passport. These ports are only in the front of my PC and all ports in the back work fine for my keyboard, mouse, etc. I have been disconnecting my ps3 controller and phone without ejecting but I ensure the controller is not in use by other programs and the phone has stopped data transfer by switching to charge only via phone options before disconnecting. The ports stopped responding one after another as there was a period where only one was unresponsive while the other was functioning . I had been doing this for the past couple weeks with no issues up until now.

The WD passport plugs in the 2 USB ports as normal with no issues and I am even able to transfer data. However, any other device i.e. my ps3 controller, other flash drives, my mouse, and my phone are not recognized at all and do not even show up in device manager as an unknown device. It is as if it wasn't plugged in at all but my phone is still able to charge. I am beginning to think it may be a hardware issue but the symptoms I have from what I've read do not seem to head in that direction (Although I am not an expert and can definitely be wrong). The solutions I have tried are listed here:

• Updated windows
  • Scanned for hardware changes in device manager
  • Updated all USB drivers in device manager
  • Uninstalled all USB devices in device manager and restarted
  • Unchecked the ability for PC to turn off USB device to save power
  • Turned off my PC and unplugged everything for 30 minutes.
  • Disabled selective suspend setting
  • Reinstalled Windows 10
  • Updated BIOS
  • Reset CMOS
I'm running Windows 10 with a ASUS Maximus IX Code motherboard and the ports are part of the phanteks enthoo luxe. Could connecting my phone mess up the ports? Please help!

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
USB is built into windows so uninstalling drivers likely just means they get reinstalled on startup anyway.
Its unlikely to be drivers if the rear ports still work fine

do ports work in bios?
could try to boot off https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview and see if its the same.

unlikely but have you checked the USB connector for front panel on motherboard is still attached?

I just remembered the wd works :)

vap

May 20, 2020
I am not sure how to check if the ports work in BIOS but they are all enabled. Booting with ubuntu and testing yielded same results as well.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Well, you could make a win 10 installer USB and put it in one of the USB ports at boot and then go into BIOS/Boot order page and see if it shows as an option there. It may not as Secure boot is likely on.

It sounds like its something physical given Ubuntu had similar results and yet... why does the Drive work and nothing else?
Maybe its bios, but having said that, I don't know what. Its hardware of some sort since it does same thing in 2 OS now.

Is the WD drive USB 2 or 3?

wonder which type of USB they are, Intel or Asmedia
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller :
1 x USB 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connector port(s)
ASMedia® USB 3.1 Gen 2 controller :
2 x USB 3.1 port(s) (2 at back panel, )
Intel® Z270 Chipset :
6 x USB 3.0 port(s) (4 at back panel, , 2 at mid-board)
Intel® Z270 Chipset : *8
6 x USB 2.0 port(s) (6 at back panel, , Type-A + USB Type-CTM, 2 at mid-board)
https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-CODE/specifications/

Probably intel?

its not like you lack choices, could you perhaps try another Motherboard connection?
reset CMOS?

vap

May 20, 2020
The fact that my drive connects fine with data transfer is the one thing that is throwing me off. The WD drive is a USB 3 and the other devices I believe are USB 2 but the devices had been working fine with the USB 3 port up to the point of original post. Could the port just suddenly stop backwards compatibility? I would think resetting the drivers (and all of windows for that matter) would take care of that though. I tried resetting CMOS with no difference and my mobo doesn't have another 20-1 pin USB 3.0 port for my PC case to connect to. I think its intel, the port for the USB 3.1 front panel isn't being used.

vap

May 20, 2020
I have inspected the ports. They are free of damage (bent contacts) and I had just cleaned out my PC for dust/debris including the ports. I even unplugged and plugged the 20-1 pin USB port on my motherboard that connects to the front USB ports of my case with no results. I might try to see if maybe getting a USB 3.0 hub will potentially work or maybe even just using exclusively USB 3.0 cables for the front ports to see if it makes a difference with devices other than my WD. I am open to any other potential solutions tho.