My Dell 4300 has 3 USB 1.0 ports. One in back and 2 in front. What do I need
to buy to upgrade all or one to USB 2.0?

"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>My Dell 4300 has 3 USB 1.0 ports. One in back and 2 in front. What do I need
>to buy to upgrade all or one to USB 2.0?

You can't upgrade those ports (*), but you can easily supplement them
with additional ports by adding a USB2 PCI card. It's even possible,
if not probable, that you'll be able to plug in the front panel
connector to the internal USB2 port on that card...

(*) In some circumstances, you don't have the proper drivers for your
USB 2.0 hardware, so it looks and operates like USB1.x. Upgrading the
drivers will cause them to function as USB2. Goto the Dell WWWebsite,
type in the serial number, and see what hardware you have and what
software upgrades are available.

bluegoose

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2004

I added this to my Dell 4100 to get USB 2.0 in addition to front access
ports.
Front hub sits in a 3.5" slot.

http://tinyurl.com/5oqfo

bac

"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> My Dell 4300 has 3 USB 1.0 ports. One in back and 2 in front. What do I
> need to buy to upgrade all or one to USB 2.0?

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

A PCI usb 2.0 card
"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> My Dell 4300 has 3 USB 1.0 ports. One in back and 2 in front. What do I
> need to buy to upgrade all or one to USB 2.0?

I bought an Adaptec DuoConnect for my 4300 an it works great. I got mine at
Circuit City but it appears they do not carry them any longer.
Here are the specs for the card at another site.
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=2576062

I am glad that I bought the card with USB 2.0 and Firewire. Just put on two
external firewire cases for additional hard drive space.

Bob

"Cliffy" <cxxmayer@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> My Dell 4300 has 3 USB 1.0 ports. One in back and 2 in front. What do I
> need to buy to upgrade all or one to USB 2.0?

Thanks all. I ordered a PCI card.