News USB4 Will Offer DisplayPort 2.0 Alt Mode With Support for 16K Displays

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
I like the 28" 4k AOC monitor purchased ($349) roughly six years ago and the detail it provides. More frame rates and faster than 60hz refresh would be a good thing though.

With my 4k 55" TV I can already see the makeup lines, wrinkles, dental status, pink/purple lipsticked Outlander stars, age spots, nose/ear hairs, and every blemish on head/torso shots of people on TV. I'm not sure my brain could stand the move to 16K and all the cognitive dissonance that would create.

Last edited:
Reactions: P.Amini
In a few years, you'll be able to drive a 16K monitor at 60 Hz over a single USB Type-C cable.
Something tells me there won't be any 16K monitors available in a "few years", at least not on the consumer market. Even in 10+ years it seems questionable. How useful are such resolutions going to be as a monitor?

At this time, there doesn't seem to be all that much benefit provided by resolutions above 4K, and at typical screen sizes and viewing distances, even 4K can often be a bit overkill. 8K has 4 times the pixels of 4K. 16K has 16 times the pixels, or the equivalent of 64 1080p screens.

A person with 20/20 vision should have difficulty discerning the individual pixels of a 35" 4K display from about 2ft (60cm) away, so any further viewing distance or smaller screen size than that can be considered a bit wasteful. For televisions, that would be about a 70" screen viewed from 4ft. 8K is good for a 70" screen viewed from 2ft, which makes even that resolution kind of impractical. An 8K monitor would need to be a curved display forming a half-circle around the viewer for its resolution to be properly utilized. I guess 16K might be good for wrapping the viewer in a complete sphere? : P

Really, throwing more pixels at displays seems largely unnecessary at this point. Of course, there are already companies pushing 8K televisions at consumers with huge price premiums, but hopefully most will realize that they don't look any sharper than 4K screens when viewed from a usable distance, even assuming 8K content were available, making the feature largely redundant.