Use 19.5v power adapter instead of 20v

Jan 28, 2020
I recently bought a Kensington SD5200T dock without a power adapter. I thought it would be easy to find an adapter, but boy was I wrong.
gwlSylP.png

I was able to find a power adapter that has enough amps, but it only outputs 19.5v and I can't seem to find a power supply that has at least 20v and 9a and isn't over $100.

So my questions are:

Would the use a 19.5v power adapter instead of a 20v power adapter work?
Would this power supply potentially affect my laptop's battery since the dock powers my laptop?

I'm usually good at finding these things. I can't seem to find anything. Power adapter (for the US) is called K38300NA but I can't find anything related. Only product specifications pages.

Have you tried contacting Kensington to ask for a replacement? I'm assuming there are no other manufacturers making a 20V 8.5A power adapter, or they're obscure, China brands..

Edit: If a 19.5V power supply would work? Probably. I don't see that that half volt will cause a power shortage. It's possible that it'll take marginally longer to charge your laptop battery, but that's about it, I think.

Last edited:
As long as you can return it if it doesn’t work I don’t see a problem. Too little voltage won’t hurt as long as wattage is sufficient. For all you know the original was actually 19.5v but it was rounded to 20v for the label. Also what tolerance was that 20v as there would be a percentage +/- tolerance from the rated voltage.

Ralston18

Titan