Use digital microscope as webcam?

Mar 18, 2020
Hi all,

I am developing a website and the client asked if he could connect his digital microscope (https://www.electronicaembajadores....amcolms2-digital-microscope-3-megapixels-hdmi) and then show what the microscope is seeing on his website. I have no experience whatsoever with this and I couldn't give him a decent answer. Basically, if the pc could recognise the microscope as a 'webcam' then surely this would work, right? So i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this? Or knows that this will work.
The specs say "input interface: USB 2.0".
So technically, it should work? Or am I missing something?

Thnx in advance!

Mar 18, 2020
Hey COLGeek, that's not really what I mean (should have explained it better).

It should be the client that connects his/her microscope to his/her pc and he/she should then see what the microscope is 'filming' (for example, a coin) on the website. So everything that should be connected is connected client-side, not server-side. Basically like you connect a webcam and then see what the webcam is filming on a small website you're developing yourself. This is easily done with the html5 video-tag, and I was just wondering if anybody knows if you, then, could 'use' the digital microscope as a 'webcam' to do the same.
I hope i'm not too confusing :p

More specifically; the website is only going to be used by 1 client anyway and I have full control over the client-pc as well.

Hey COLGeek, that's not really what I mean (should have explained it better).

It should be the client that connects his/her microscope to his/her pc and he/she should then see what the microscope is 'filming' (for example, a coin) on the website. So everything that should be connected is connected client-side, not server-side. Basically like you connect a webcam and then see what the webcam is filming on a small website you're developing yourself. This is easily done with the html5 video-tag, and I was just wondering if anybody knows if you, then, could 'use' the digital microscope as a 'webcam' to do the same.
I hope i'm not too confusing :p

More specifically; the website is only going to be used by 1 client anyway and I have full control over the client-pc as well.

Look up "webcam test" on the web, you will find web sites that do this, you can have a web site show you what the camera on the computer is seeing.

Mar 18, 2020
Thank you all for replying.

I got it to work using html5's Video-tag and streaming the 'video' through WebRTC (navigator.mediaDevices.enumerateDevices() to scroll through all the connected devices and picking out the right device).