Question Use external drives for own data and programs instead of internal storage?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kletoss

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I am considering to use with my Notebook an external USB hard drive, 10 TB or bigger for all of my own files (instead of the Win folders inside the OS for one's own files). And to use a second external storage, SSD, for all of my portable programs, connected via USB (or is there a better / faster connection?). And on the internal drive only Win would run. And some installed programs which do not need special or less indiviual settings so they could be installed / set up quite fast without big effort.

So I could avoid problems when Win does not start anymore or such and just reinstall Win without the risk of losing own data / programs.

Is there anything against doing it?

And is there anything against it to connect the external drives, or at least the SSD, just with an adapter instead of a case?

Well, yes, because the data is so precious / important that actually it cannot be assessed.

A bit more, I think, from may be 220 $ for 10 TB. I would need some of them.

If it is that valuable, you should consider multiple backups...kept at multiple locations. Your home, a safe deposit box, a trusted relative, etc.

So you may need 30 TB or more, with a suitable rotation plan among them all.