Question Use LAN without consuming data from SIM ?

Jun 15, 2019
Hi.

I have a 4g router, which is also used for LAN streaming video from surveillance camera.
I'm afraid that while streaming video via LAN it will consume data from 4g SIM card ?

Can I split the WiFi + Sim from the LAN part?

more information. where does the surveillance camera stream the feed to? a server connected to the router via LAN? a cloud?
is the surveillance camera feed reachable from the outside via an IP address or an app?
do you have additional public IPs or do you connect to it using an internal (192.168.x; 10.X)?

In general a router does not use the WAN for LAN-LAN traffic. This includes WiFi traffic since it is considered LAN. The only traffic that would eat into your data plan is traffic going WAN-LAN. It all depends on how your cameras work. Most do not need internet at all, mine are completely isolated on a different switch/network and function fine. A lot of cameras have poor quality firmware so you really do not want them on a network that has internet.

I guess a way to test is to turn off the WAN part of your router or if that is not possible maybe pull the sim card or take antenna off so the router can not talk to the cell tower. If the cameras continue to function fine then you have nothing to worry about. The major concern would be if the cameras saved data to some cloud storage system. That would eat huge amounts of bandwidth.