[SOLVED] Use PCs HDMI as an input?

BazmanFoo

Commendable
Oct 22, 2019
Hi,

I think this is probably the best section for this, but if not please let me know.

I have a home PC and a work laptop. With everything going on in the outside world, I am working exclusively from home right now. Much of this can be done on my desktop but there are a few systems that I need my laptop for (far inferior machine in terms of power).

I'm wondering if there's a way that I can use my work laptop's HDMI out to connect to one of my PCs HDMI ports to display my laptop 'within' my PC. My mouse and keyboard both have Bluetooth functionality so I can easily switch to control either machine so I just need to be able to view my laptop, not control it from the PC necessarily (although this would be good if possible).

I realise there are multiple remote desktop programs that will give me this ability but these are blocked on my work firewall, so a direct connection would probably be necessary.

If this is not possible, I'm more than open to any suggestions for alternative solutions.

Thanks!

Solution
Graphic cards are output only.

There is no way to run your laptop's software using your desktop's hardware (other than installing it onto the desktop).

-Wolf sends

Longules

Reputable
Feb 21, 2020
I can't think of a single piece of hardware, computer or otherwise where I've seen an HDMI port switch between an out and an in. Pretty sure they only go one way or the other.

There ARE USB capture devices that can connect an HDMI to your computer. They're kinda targeted towards game capture but they can grab any HDMI source. Elgato and Avermedia are a couple brands that make em.

I'm wondering if there's a way that I can use my work laptop's HDMI out to connect to one of my PCs HDMI ports to display my laptop 'within' my PC.
Look at your monitor inputs, having more than one HDMI input on a monitor is not that uncommon and you can switch between the two from the monitors menu.
If not your monitor your TV should have another HDMI for input,there is nothing to be gained from having the laptop show up as a window within your PC.

Wolfshadw

Titan
You can certainly remote into your laptop (assuming you have permissions on the laptop to make the necessary setting changes). While you're using the desktop to view/control the laptop, you won't see any performance improvements running those applications that require the laptop.

-Wolf sends

BazmanFoo

Commendable
Oct 22, 2019
You can certainly remote into your laptop (assuming you have permissions on the laptop to make the necessary setting changes). While you're using the desktop to view/control the laptop, you won't see any performance improvements running those applications that require the laptop.

-Wolf sends

Thanks. Yes I know I'll still be running slow laptop speeds for the apps that will only run on the laptop/VPN but will see improvements in most of my day to day tasks (email, calendar etc).

I can't remote connect to laptop OTA as it's blocked by the VPN but I wondered if there was a wired alternative that may allow it. From the answers so far it seems unlikely. I realise its a pretty niche use case.