Question Use public (ISP) static IP for Windows as a server

ali_143

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Hello, I have a fiber modem router (HG8120C) and I got a public static IP address from ISP. My modem is configured with WAN (router mode) and PPPoE (with username and password) and NAT enabled .... I don't know anything about NAT or PPPoE or WAN (router vs bridge mode) .... I can see my static IP (for example, <Mod Edit>) while I'm on the internet, and it's OK, but I want to convert my windows to a server using IIS web server and people access it with my static IP address (<Mod Edit>) ... what should I do ? What configuration I have to put on my Windows and also my Modem to achieve this goal ? I know about IIS, and it's configuration, but I don't know how to pass that public static IP address to my Windows !!

USAFRet

Titan
and people access it with my static IP address (<Mod Edit>) ... what should I do ?
This can be VERY hazardous.

Each and every public facing IP address gets hit daily, looking for a way in.
Currently, your modem gets hit with those requests, and rightly throws them away.

If you have a 'server' behind that, with open access to the outside world, your modem/router will let those through to the server.
Depending on how that server is set up, you may be exposing your entire internal LAN to access to anyone on the planet.

I know about IIS, and it's configuration, but I don't know how to pass that public static IP address to my Windows !!
This indicates, to me, that you really really should not do this.
It is very easy to get things wrong, and leave yourself vulnerable.

Why are you looking to do this?

ali_143

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
This can be VERY hazardous.

Each and every public facing IP address gets hit daily, looking for a way in.
Currently, your modem gets hit with those requests, and rightly throws them away.

If you have a 'server' behind that, with open access to the outside world, your modem/router will let those through to the server.
Depending on how that server is set up, you may be exposing your entire internal LAN to access to anyone on the planet.

This indicates, to me, that you really really should not do this.
It is very easy to get things wrong, and leave yourself vulnerable.

Why are you looking to do this?
But i heard there is a way to assign a private IP to Windows and by doing that, people can access to that Windows throw that public static IP (<Mod Edit>) but i don't know how to do that ...

USAFRet

Titan
But i heard there is a way to assign a private IP to Windows and by doing that, people can access to that Windows throw that public static IP (<Mod Edit>) but i don't know how to do that ...
If your system/server/whatever is accessible to the outside world, it can be vulnerable.

That you state "but i don't know how to do that" indicates that you have no idea of how to do it.
This is not as easy as it sounds.

First just asking this question and not knowing the very standard solution even kid that run minecraft servers know is concerning. When you expose a server to the internet you have to be extremely careful about all the security setting in the server. One little mistake and the hackers will take over your server.

But the solution is port forwarding in the router or maybe DMZ if you need all ports forwarded. DMZ is almost like putting your server directly on the internet and is not recommended.

Now if for some reason your server actually need the public IP directly on the ethernet port then you will need to put your router in bridge mode. I am not a web server guy but there are many other solutions that allow this to work without putting it on the internet directly. When this is done commerically there is always a firewall inbetween that gets the actual public IP. So the server must have the ability to function in that configuration.

ali_143

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2016
Bridge mode with IPoE or PPPoE ?
Also, about port forwarding in router, can I just assign that static IP address port 80 to my Windows ?
Do you know anything about how should I assign a private static IP to windows and using Nat to load contents from Windows for that public static IP ?

Bridge mode with IPoE or PPPoE ?
Also, about port forwarding in router, can I just assign that static IP address port 80 to my Windows ?
Do you know anything about how should I assign a private static IP to windows and using Nat to load contents from Windows for that public static IP ?
Again this is very concerning when you are going to try to set up a secure server and do not even know how to do very basic port forwarding. Port forwarding does exactly that it say if data comes in say on port 80 send it to your internal server using port 80.