[SOLVED] Use RAM rated for 3200Mhz on a motherboard w/max of 3000?

DrGreer

Reputable
Apr 16, 2016
I have a new laptop that supports DDR4 2666 with XMP up to 3000MHz. I found a good deal for some RAM that is rated for 3200MHz. Should it be okay to use it and setup an XMP profile of 3000 or will it likely not be compatible because it's rated up to 3200?

Solution
It is most likely that it will work, but will max out at the advertised 3000MHz XMP. I'm expecting that scenario.

Another scenario, although unlikely, is that they might not work at all. Even less likely is that they will run at the full 3200MHz speed.
It is most likely that it will work, but will max out at the advertised 3000MHz XMP. I'm expecting that scenario.

Another scenario, although unlikely, is that they might not work at all. Even less likely is that they will run at the full 3200MHz speed.

Solution

Another scenario, although unlikely, is that they might not work at all. Even less likely is that they will run at the 3200MHz speed.