Use telephone wire as ethernet cable

linkinp

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Dear guru
I have a telephone wire with a RJ11 jack on wall around the house, at first glance I suppose it is traditional 4-wire (4 color) type. Then, Can I use that telephone wire as ethernet wire?
Appreciate

linkinp

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

Really appreciate your answer pctech2005, but I seek several videos source and they directed that telephone wire can also be used as ethernet cable although it only has 4 wires. Are there any differences with my wire and their wire?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OYAyum7ruQ

A telephone line can be used for the internet but that's for DSL. They provide filters to avoid noise. Does your region offer DSL? It's an ancient and ultra slow internet connection.

A telephone line and an ethernet line also have a different end connection meaning they can not be used interchangeably.

pctech2005

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
your speed will be limited to 10 megabits/second. additionally the cable is not rated for data. Using it for something other than what is was designed for may lead to undesired results.

You can try this. I believe you can get 100Mbs depending on the cable type.
If you have nothing to lose by trying it then go for it.
You can do phone with utp so it could be twisted. If it's not it likely won't work.

https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/how-gigabit-ethernet-works/

Rules number 1 is there are tons of idiots who make yourtube video and say you can do all kinds of things.

According to any standard it is not certified to work. But there is a big difference between what can be guaranteed to work and what you can get lucky and make work.

Your largest issue is going to be that phone wire...the yellow/black/red/green kind is way to thick to crimp the rj45 on. You will likely have to use a phone jack and then build a custom patch cable with a rj11 on one end and rj45 on the other.

You will be lucky to get it to work at 10mbps since the twist in the wire are extremely important to reduce the interference.

It is worth a try I suppose but I suspect it will be extremely unstable even if it does work.

If you search around you can find devices called ethernet extenders. This is a form of private DSL that uses special DSL modems on each end of the phone wire. Some large commercial vendors like cisco used to make stuff like this years ago but everyone was using proprietary methods so it all died off. Last time I looked I though they were too expensive for what they provided.

Ah, another "I saw this in YouTube."

Some house telephone wirings are actually made with CAT5, but it's up to you to open up the thing and verify this for yourself.

If the wiring is indeed standard 2 pairs telephones wires, these are rated like CAT3 and possibly can take you up to 10 (ten) mbit, as already mentioned, not worth the effort since u can do much better with WIFI.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most household wires newer than the old red/green/black/yellow stuff needed for the really old phones that required upto 90v for ring use Cat3 now, just twisted orange/blue pairs as it's cheaper on the electrical company that does the basic install. Some ppl get lucky and the phone lines are DSL capable and use Cat5 instead. My house got Cat5e for phone lines.

So, yes, it's possible, but not probable, that you could use the phone lines, if the wire is there, requiring a simple change of jacks in the room and a change of connection on the service end.