[SOLVED] Use two networks, one for upload and one for download.

Tacatun

Commendable
Aug 8, 2020
I have access to an ethernet connection and a wireless connection on my desktop. They are two completely different networks and the ethernet has very good download speed but minimal upload speed, versus the wireless one which has a fairly decent upload speed. Is there a way that I can get the benefits of both at the same time, such as using ethernet for down wifi for up, or combining them in some way?

Solution
No...there is no thing as 'download only'.

Every ethernet interaction is both up and down.
When you download something, your system also does routine regular Uploads ""OK, I got that packet, send the next one".
There is a whole lot of back and forth traffic.

USAFRet

Titan
No...there is no thing as 'download only'.

Every ethernet interaction is both up and down.
When you download something, your system also does routine regular Uploads ""OK, I got that packet, send the next one".
There is a whole lot of back and forth traffic.

Solution
Not a simple thing to do.

The magic command is ROUTE so do some research and then come back with questions. You must actually tell the machine what IP addresses you want to use which connection in a list.

Still you can not actually download only on 1 and upload on the other.

What you can do is run some sites on one connection and other sites on the other connection. You could then manually put sites that do mostly upload on one connection and sites that do mostly download on the other. You can not though put the download traffic and upload traffic going to a single site on different connection.

This is very tedious to setup and only works well with a small number of ip addresses..ie web sites. You could for example run a netflix on one connection and other traffic on the other.