Use Xover cable to transfer data

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Hi,
Have never done this (or even attempted it) so am just looking for any "gotchas" that might be lurking out there.

I picked up a crossover cable for the purpose of moving all the data from an old PC to its replacement. Both machines are running Windows 10 Pro. The old one is 32-bit, the new, 64-bit.

Looked up this question on TechNet but the MVPs all began immediately discussing changing/reassigning IP addresses without ever referencing the question. .

The new machine has a reserved IP while the old one is DHCP. So whether that's going to be an issue, I don't yet know. If they happen to clash, changing it isn't a problem.

Aside from that, is the process basically the same as copying files across a standard network?

Sorry if this is a somewhat stupid question but, like I said, just looking for a heads up on any possible problems.

Thanks for all help!

Solution
It's exactly what they were talking on that other forum, since there's no DHCP server involved (router) you need to assign a static IP to both pcs, so lets say you have this:

PC1:

- IP Address: 192.168.1.10
-Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

You'd have to setup the second pc as follows:

PC2:

-IP Address: 192.168.1.11

Those are the only values you need properly configured to establish a connection, after that simply share the folder you wanna move and copy it.

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Color me embarrassed.
:/

Just found a tutorial which sheds a lot of light on this subject. If anyone else is interested in this topic, here's the link: https://www.lexo.ch/blog/2016/04/how-to-the-fastest-way-to-transfer-files-from-pc-to-pc/

My sincere apologies for the mistake.

It's exactly what they were talking on that other forum, since there's no DHCP server involved (router) you need to assign a static IP to both pcs, so lets say you have this:

PC1:

- IP Address: 192.168.1.10

You'd have to setup the second pc as follows:

PC2:

-IP Address: 192.168.1.11

Those are the only values you need properly configured to establish a connection, after that simply share the folder you wanna move and copy it.

Solution

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Thanks, RaD! As I mentioned in my own answer, I just found a more organized explanation of the process which made perfect sense once I read it.

TGIF! & Thanks again!