Question Used GTX 1080 mining card for gaming ?

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Saw a seller selling a p104 8gb(gtx 1080) for just $40, which is a steal in my opinion, not to mention but the seller also garantee on 1 month of waranty as well.
image.thumb.png.0e01fa7f94484eaa0da735a90a5cdf09.png

Unfortunately since this is a mining card it does not have any output. i saw a lot of people on youtube running games on a p106 by using their igpu and install a specific driver.
Since ill be pairing this with a xeon cpu their wont be an igpu for me to run.
Luckily my x99 has 2 pcie x16 slot, so i was thinking if i could buy a cheap crappy gpu with output ports mayble itll solve my problem(should i buy a crappy amd gpu or nvidia gpu?) .

Ill also have to install a specific driver to run this card as well. i did found a guy on youtube who did have a link for the p104 driver.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnchkJVULE&t=51s

Not so sure if this method will work or not, ill need some answers.

Saw a seller selling a p104 8gb(gtx 1080) for just $40, which is a steal in my opinion, not to mention but the seller also garantee on 1 month of waranty as well.
image.thumb.png.0e01fa7f94484eaa0da735a90a5cdf09.png

Unfortunately since this is a mining card it does not have any output. i saw a lot of people on youtube running games on a p106 by using their igpu and install a specific driver.
Since ill be pairing this with a xeon cpu their wont be an igpu for me to run.
Luckily my x99 has 2 pcie x16 slot, so i was thinking if i could buy a cheap crappy gpu with output ports mayble itll solve my problem(should i buy a crappy amd gpu or nvidia gpu?) .

Ill also have to install a specific driver to run this card as well. i did found a guy on youtube who did have a link for the p104 driver.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnchkJVULE&t=51s

Not so sure if this method will work or not, ill need some answers.
No, I don't think that this will work at all. There's a reason why the seller is only asking $40. It's because unless it's mining, it's useless.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
Unless you have CPU with an iGPU you can't even get a display out, and you have to hack the drivers to work. More trouble than it is worth.
Im going to pair it wth a xeon cpu, which does not have an igpu. Luckily my x99 has 2 pcie x16 slot.
Which is why i was thingking about buying a cheap dicreade gpu as a display out and pair it with the p104.
As for the hack driver i got it from this guy:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArnchkJVULE&t=52s

Do you think itll work?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would opt to just take a stab at low-balling some eBay GTX1080, if you have to get a another GPU anyway.

Seeing what appear to be working GTX1080 sold for as low as $70 but closer to $100 on average. Some specifically say they were used for mining, so not that different really.

Similar pricing for RTX2060, particularly the OEM cards from HP and Dell.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
OP

if the miner is selling the gpu for very cheap.. high chance there is already something terribly wrong with it, so the miner can't use it anymore.

you're going to lose money if you buy this thing.

Giant Hunger

Respectable
Jun 23, 2021
OP

if the miner is selling the gpu for very cheap.. high chance there is already something terribly wrong with it, so the miner can't use it anymore.

you're going to lose money if you buy this thing.
I live in asia, the gpu market is super cheap after the crypto crash, the seller also add a month of warranty and a 3 day return policy as well, which is a lot of time to test the gpu.

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
you need to jump through hoops just to make that thing work. I know money is hard to earn these days, which is one reason cheap gpu's are so attractive to buy.

I do hope the warranty would be applied if that thing fails.

goodluck.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Juggling hacked + legitimate drivers for two different cards would drive anyone nuts including Windows. Driver might work servicing another, not sure. Maybe it'll work but reliability would be in question and also limited to that only driver. Routing video from one card through another i don't think is even possible. I guess anything is possible but i can't find anything or anyone giving that a crack.

Reactions: Tac 25
Feb 4, 2023
I've been tempted by these ex-mining cards, but only really for things like Stable Diffusion/processing. I wouldn't try hacking them to display, although I'm sure it could be done by someone with enough skill, time, and knowledge. Unless you will do it as a fun project to learn something, it's probably not worth doing from a monetary perspective...