[SOLVED] Used Msi rtx 2080 gaming x trio with artifacts/ space invaders

xrepsajx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2018
So i've recently been looking for some good used rtx cards when i stumbled accros this offer. It's a rtx 2080 for just €400 but it has artifacts (basically something wrong on the card's board). I'm pretty sure almost nobody can fix such a problem. But i was thinking, can i just send it to nvidia and ask for maybe a replacement card or something. Or will they not give me one because i bought it on eBay?

Do you think it's a good idea or just stupid?

Solution
So i've recently been looking for some good used rtx cards when i stumbled accros this offer. It's a rtx 2080 for just €400 but it has artifacts (basically something wrong on the card's board). I'm pretty sure almost nobody can fix such a problem. But i was thinking, can i just send it to nvidia and ask for maybe a replacement card or something. Or will they not give me one because i bought it on eBay?

Possible No to eBay. (but see below) There is a good chance the previous owner registered the card and since you are not the original owner or have the original bill of sale, MSI isn't obligated to replace the card, even if it was still under the "warranty" period. If the 2080 was...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Good luck with that, and get your money back ASAP, because the scumbag sold you a dying card.
You can look at the space invaders like skulls - it's on it's way to the graveyard. There's no fix.

But seriously, get your money back - dispute it with your CC provider if need be.

Reactions: xrepsajx

Mrgr74

Reputable
BANNED

Possible No to eBay. (but see below) There is a good chance the previous owner registered the card and since you are not the original owner or have the original bill of sale, MSI isn't obligated to replace the card, even if it was still under the "warranty" period. If the 2080 was still under warranty, why would the seller not have it replaced and then ask double the price? More than likely the seller is not the original purchaser him/her self and has already tried to get coverage.

However, MSI, ASUS & EVGA have been known to cover GPU's bought 2nd hand that were still under their original warranty period. Before buying the card, I'd find the exact make/model and if the pics shows the s/n and then I'd contact MSI and ask them directly to see if they would cover it. If they say yes, get the agents name you talked to, a Ref# and if via their live chat, I'd take screen shots of all pages of your ensuing conversation, should they "change their minds after you forked over the $$.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Reactions: xrepsajx
Solution

xrepsajx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2018
Good luck with that, and get your money back ASAP, because the scumbag sold you a dying card.
You can look at the space invaders like skulls - it's on it's way to the graveyard. There's no fix.

But seriously, get your money back - dispute it with your CC provider if need be.
No no no don't worry hahaha i didn't buy it yet. :)

xrepsajx

Reputable
Mar 20, 2018
Possible No to eBay. (but see below) There is a good chance the previous owner registered the card and since you are not the original owner or have the original bill of sale, MSI isn't obligated to replace the card, even if it was still under the "warranty" period. If the 2080 was still under warranty, why would the seller not have it replaced and then ask double the price? More than likely the seller is not the original purchaser him/her self and has already tried to get coverage.

However, MSI, ASUS & EVGA have been known to cover GPU's bought 2nd hand that were still under their original warranty period. Before buying the card, I'd find the exact make/model and if the pics shows the s/n and then I'd contact MSI and ask them directly to see if they would cover it. If they say yes, get the agents name you talked to, a Ref# and if via their live chat, I'd take screen shots of all pages of your ensuing conversation, should they "change their minds after you forked over the $$.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks, we need more people like you 👍. I will check if it has the s/n on the pictures. If so, i will contact msi and hope for the best.

Edit: no way he actually has the s/n on the gpu! Didn't expect that. Going to contact msi right now.

Edit 2: still no message from msi. The deal on ebay has also ended. But if msi would send me a message tomorrow saying they would give me a replacement card en the deal was still up, i still wouldn't buy it. There's such a big risk and i wouldn't have the courage to risk €400...

Edit 3: They're not going to send a message back probably so i guess this was it.

Last edited: