Discussion used multi-socket server gear vs new prosumer gear for a workstation?

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
About two months ago, I found myself desperately in need of an updated PC and I put together an AMD rig. So now that I have been running putting the system through its paces over the past two months, I'm beginning to wonder if I could have built a more appropriate system for cheaper (or conversely a faster system for a similar or slightly more cost).

The major components:
AMD 3900XT
Noctua NH-U12a
AsRock x570 Taichi
Patriot Viper Steel 3200 4x16GB
Corsair Force MP600 1TB
Nvidia P4000

Most of the programs I rely on - scientific and mathematical software, CAD, GIS software - are heavily skewed towards single core processing so I'm finding the many cores of my 3900XT are not well utilized.

When I was in the planning phase of my build I was considering going with a used dual socket server board (specifically a dual EPYC 7151/7152 setup) but eventually ran out of time to look over all the specs, pricing and compatibilities.

All-in I think I spent around $1500 and probably spent a bit more in some places than needed but again, I was kind of in a rush so it is what it is.

What I'm wondering is if I had gone the dual socket route using some slightly used server gear, would it have been a better performer for my mainly single-core applications? Do multi-socket systems perform better for single-core applications or is it just another collection of cores?

I was prepared to spend ~$1800 on the build and ended up a bit lower than that but what dual socket system would you have built with the budget?

Again, it is what it is. I needed the machine and got a pretty good rig but would love to hear thoughts and opinions for future builds.

TIA!

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
About two months ago, I found myself desperately in need of an updated PC and I put together an AMD rig. So now that I have been running putting the system through its paces over the past two months, I'm beginning to wonder if I could have built a more appropriate system for cheaper (or conversely a faster system for a similar or slightly more cost).

The major components:
AMD 3900XT
Noctua NH-U12a
AsRock x570 Taichi
Patriot Viper Steel 3200 4x16GB
Corsair Force MP600 1TB
Nvidia P4000

Most of the programs I rely on - scientific and mathematical software, CAD, GIS software - are heavily skewed towards single core processing so I'm finding the many cores of my 3900XT are not well utilized.

When I was in the planning phase of my build I was considering going with a used dual socket server board (specifically a dual EPYC 7151/7152 setup) but eventually ran out of time to look over all the specs, pricing and compatibilities.

All-in I think I spent around $1500 and probably spent a bit more in some places than needed but again, I was kind of in a rush so it is what it is.

What I'm wondering is if I had gone the dual socket route using some slightly used server gear, would it have been a better performer for my mainly single-core applications? Do multi-socket systems perform better for single-core applications or is it just another collection of cores?

I was prepared to spend ~$1800 on the build and ended up a bit lower than that but what dual socket system would you have built with the budget?

Again, it is what it is. I needed the machine and got a pretty good rig but would love to hear thoughts and opinions for future builds.

TIA!
Generally multisocket motherboards DON'T perform as well at single thread tasks. They usually have CPUs that have lower clock speeds than desktop CPUs.

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Yeah, the server CPUs tended to have lower clock speeds but they also tend to have more memory channels, more cache etc. And swapping out the CPUs for a higher clocked CPU is not out of the question either. Particularly, with Intel gear where you have some more workstation performance-oriented Xeon skus.

The answer I couldn't seem to get dig up was whether the system would treat the two processors as a summation (linear or non-linear) of the clock speeds or if it just becomes a large pool of cores.

Granted I could look into OC'ing things a bit but I really didn't want to get into that (which was why I opted for the 3900XT vs 3900X).

zze86

Prominent
Oct 21, 2020
Great point! I just figured that was some wizardry that happened in the OS and the application s just piggyback on it.

Thanks for the link as well. It's not explicitly stated but it sounds like AutoCAD treats multiple sockets as multiple cores. Interesting that it treats hyperthreading as two separate cores also.

It sounds like I may be better off trying some slightly used single-socket server/workstation gear next time around