[SOLVED] Used Phones from Ebay connected to the internet but not able to access internet except Google?

lac668

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me find out what to do with this internet issue I'm having with some used phones I purchased from eBay. I bought 3 phones, and I'm not able to get on the internet on any of them. What happens is I have them connected to the internet (it's not a problem with the internet at my house, I had an internet guy come to my house and he fixed some problems I was having with it, I have a new router now that works great), they say they're connected and everything, and then when I try to access the internet they won't go to any websites I'm trying to go to (except Google, Bing, Yahoo searches).

On each of the phones, I'm able to go to Google just fine and use the search engine but it won't load any other websites. The phones I have are:
Alcatel Sonic LTE Android
HTC Rhyme ADR6330
HTC 7 Trophy MWP6985

On the Alcatel, it tells me that it's an SSL connection error "Unable to make a secure connection to the server. This may be a problem with the server, or it may be requiring a client authentication certificate that you don't have. Error code: ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR." On the other phones, it just tells me "we're having trouble displaying this page" or "web page not available" with a message that says "data connectivity problem: a secure connection could not be established." I tried once to do a factory reset on the Alcatel and that didn't seem to do anything. I've ensured that mobile data is turned off and that wifi is turned on (which shouldn't be the problem because they're not connected to mobile data). I'm savvy enough with technology but not enough to fix wifi issues or know what any of this means. Since I've gotten 3 phones from ebay it seems to me like this must be a common thing with used phones from ebay? - that there's something extra you have to do to get the internet working on them. I've tried everything I could for the SSL connection error getting help from youtube, etc. I've cleared the cache, data, history, I've tried turning off data saver and there's no options for that on any of the phones in Chrome, tried to use Static instead of DHCP and that didn't seem to do anything, I think I've done what I can. Do I need to clear the SSL state on the phones and if so how do I do that? Any ideas what I should do?

Solution
Does not sound like it's an issue with the phones, although if they have old versions of Android you may have issues when using a non-secure internet connection. Download the latest Chrome browser from the app store and check again. Did you do a factory reset on the phones when you got them?
Does not sound like it's an issue with the phones, although if they have old versions of Android you may have issues when using a non-secure internet connection. Download the latest Chrome browser from the app store and check again. Did you do a factory reset on the phones when you got them?

Solution