morris

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2004

My wife downloaded programs that she uses after she logs onto her winXP user
account. That is ok. The problem is that when I'm logged onto MY user
account, one of HER programs pops up a log-in window. This happens everytime
I go into windowsXP.
How can I stop this thing from popping up on me, without removing it from
the computer? In other words, only my wife needs to see this thing when SHE'S
logged on.

Some programs ask if you want to install the application for the current user
only or for all users. Next time you can try this option if exist. Sometimes
this option is hidden under Custom Install option.

For current problem, you have to track down how this application is loaded
with windows. To find this out; type msconfig in the RUN box. [Win + R] Check
out the Startup tab of msconfig.

If this program's listed as Common Startup that means it has a shortcut in
All Users' Sartup folder. ex. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup
If so, move the shortcut from this folder to Startup folder of your wife's
account. ex. C:\Documents and Settings\[Her Name]\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

This'd be the easiest solution if you're lucky. :)

If this program is loaded from somewhere else for instance from REGISTRY
[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
you have to create same Name/Data pair under
[HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
and delete the the key from [HKLM]
And of course I do not need to remind you to make a backup of your registry.

And you know what; before all this, look into the Options/Preferences
section of the program you complained about. There may be an option to change

If none of the above works, give us the details about this program. For
example it's name and version. Maybe someone already had a similar problem.

Cheers,