News User Reports 12VHPWR Connector Melting From the PSU Side

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
You are blaming the user ...
You're putting words in my mouth. I think the design is a problem for the reason it is so easy to make a mistake and fry your card/PSU. I just put a theory forward, I NEVER stated I thought the design was good. If you have a question on my tech opinion please ask, don't assume though please.

Last edited:

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
You're putting words in my mouth. I think the design is a problem for the reason it is so easy to make a mistake and fry your card/PSU. I just put a theory forward, I NEVER stated I thought the design was good. If you have a question on my tech opinion please ask, don't assume though please.
Sorry, I did not read your response thoroughly.

Reactions: atomicWAR
Two of the "ground" connectors are for sense, not ground. It's used for the video card to determine whether a 6 or 8 pin cable is plugged in to adjust power levels. A 6 pin cable has 2 +12v, 2 GND, 1 sense, and 1 NC or not connected pin. An 8 pin connector adds a +12 to the NC of the 6 pin and then an additional ground and sense to the +2 portion. Also, more ground does not equal more power.
And yet many manufacturers have all 3 power lines connected on 6-pin connectors.

Even more interesting is that a 6-pin done to spec puts more strain on the lines than an 8-pin done to spec.
With 75W over 2 wires (on the 6-pin) that is 38W or 3.13A per line, while the 3 wires on 8-pin have to deliver 50W or 4.17A per line.

And if we extrapolate from there, putting the same 4.17A per wire over a 6-pin (because the plug is the same, just with less lines), then it should be able to give 100W

And just a hunch, but the 12-pin plug has pretty much the same connector yet again (but a bit smaller), but gives 8.33A (or 5.5A if we follow Molex' recommendation). So assuming the actual wiring and contact pins are the same spec, we would get 200W/300W (132W/198W)) over the old pins.

All a bit confusing, at least if we assume that identical wires and pins would be able to sustain identical loads.

Which brings me to this one
OEJ7luw.jpeg
Why is the connector on the PSU side smaller than the EPS P8? That one is specified for 6A/line.

All in all it doesn't look like the 12VHPWR should get 8.33A/line when the other connectors are rated for 3.13A/4.17A/6.0A per line.
I’d recommend the Corsair AX1600i or AX1500i if you want the best PSU.
Who manufactures those? Does Corsair that themselves? Because most companies get the internals elsewhere and just put their sticker on.

Jun 19, 2023
Hey I didn't know how to contact the author.

I just took delivery of a Dark Power 13 850w and the PCIe 5 socket is marred / looks similar to that failure, obviously no melted connectors yet as I haven't used it.

The rest of the connections are completely spotless, its only this connector that looks weird.

Gallery with a few more shots
View: https://imgur.com/a/JG1pJEB

Send me a message if you want more information, I've contacted my retailer to see what they think,

f5Y0IEM.jpg
And you purchased this unit brand new or refurb? Just looks super odd. After I posted the failure of my DP13 1000w, I think there were other a couple other reddit users that had mentioned they had seen discoloration on the PICe 5.0 slot on their DP13 750w models....Have tried to get into contact with BeQuiet to no avail thus far... =(