Users don't show on startup

xvetter9

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
I had the "Temporary Profile" problem, and tried to resolve it as per viveknayyar007's instructions. I was in the process of regedit when the power went out. When I came back up, all I have is the Admin account for startup. It works OK... no temp profile nonsense. However, when I went into control panel, the user accounts are there. I deleted the old user accounts, and created a new one, but still only the Admin account on startup. Looking in regedit, there are 3 entries in ProfileList, xxx.1000, xxx.1003 and xxx.1003.new (left from when I made the original renaming exercise). I'm not sure what to do next... and I'm afraid of having the whole thing refuse to boot. Can anyone help, please?

xvetter9

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014

xvetter9

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014

xvetter9

Reputable
Oct 21, 2014
Thanks for your help, folks! First, I'm using Windows 7, as up-to-date as Windows Update can make it. Getting a UPS is a good suggestion, and I'll tend to that ASAP. Now, of course I have a registry BU, but it's about a week old. I figured that would cover me before I started messing with the Registry, but I had not thought it through... I am setting this machine up to hold my music collection, and be a server for it in the living room. It was my only machine until I replaced it with another about a year ago. So, I've been stripping a lot of stuff out of it, including two old admin-privileged users that I didn't want confusing the issue for my wife, friends etc. who will be frequent users of the "music machine". The idea was to have just one standard (non-admin) user on the machine, plus an Administrator User for me. I thought it would be simplest just to delete the old users, and create the 2 new ones, so I did that using Control Panel. These changes were made since the last BU of the Registry.

In the process I had to re-boot several times. After the Nth reboot, I started getting the message that I had been put into a "Temporary Profile" and that files I created would be deleted, and I wouldn't have access to my own files. That's when I found the "Temporary Profile" dialogue here, with what seemed a simple enough solution from one "viveknayyar007'". And I made the changes, without (oh, stupid) taking another registry BU!

Now, I don't have the files for the deleted users that were there on the registry backup. I also have only one user at startup, which is the new Admin user I created. However, Control Panel lets me set up users (which I've done), but there is always only the one Admin user shown at startup. I haven't tried just restoring the Registry BU that I have, because there will be a number of discrepancies: users and their files missing, a couple of programs no longer on the disk, etc.

The ProfileList currently in regedit is:
S-1-5-18
S-1-5-19
S-1-5-20
S-1-5-21-string-string-string-1000
S-1-5-21-string-string-string-1003
S-1-5-21-string-string-string-1003.new

It was in this area I made the changes, and the .new is the one I renamed per the procedure.

I hope this makes some sense... it almost doesn't to me, either!

Again, thanks for your time.