using 24 pin mobo connecter as 8 pin CPU power

ArYcEz

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
I'm building a computer got my sister and I ran into an issue my CPU needs a 8 pin power connecter but the psu we got only has 4 pins, I've got a spare psu though and I was wondering if it's possible to use the 24 pin power connecter from the spare psu as power for the 8 pin, it fits in I just don't know if it'll power it

Solution
The aux 8 pin cpu power slot is needed to power extra load devices in pcie slots and such as well as overclocking.
If you are not using anything heavy, try plugging only the 4 pin you have.
If it posts, you are likely OK.
But, some motherboards with 8 pin connectors REQUIRE an 8 pin to be inserted.
It is inexpensive to buy a 4 pin to 8 pin cpu power adapter, or a molex to 8 pin cpu adapter.
Do not do it by any means - 24-pin power connector cannot be used for 8-pin CPU power.

In fact, you do not even have a problem, everything is fine - although it might seem otherwise at first.

If your PSU has 4 pins, this is enough. It will work. You simply connect the 4-pin CPU power, leaving the 4 pins unconnected. Full 8-pins is only required for power-hungry CPUs, or for overclocking.

The aux 8 pin cpu power slot is needed to power extra load devices in pcie slots and such as well as overclocking.
If you are not using anything heavy, try plugging only the 4 pin you have.
If it posts, you are likely OK.
But, some motherboards with 8 pin connectors REQUIRE an 8 pin to be inserted.
It is inexpensive to buy a 4 pin to 8 pin cpu power adapter, or a molex to 8 pin cpu adapter.

Solution

What PSU did you get, and what are the other parts?