Using 4G to game, random 1500+ ping spikes.

Oct 24, 2018
Hello
I've recently purchased a EE 4G data hotspot. 50GB, 25 - 50 mbps download and round about 8 mbps upload, which is pretty good whilst im gaming at a constant 43 ping. I use 4G as i live somewhere where fibre broadband hasn't been installed yet meaning 2.5mbps between 4 people. not good.
Using the 4G hotspot is really good with the constant 43 ping but after playing for an hour or 2 i will get a sudden spike of 1500 ping and when this happens i quickly turn the hotspot off and on which takes 15 seconds and the ping goes back to normal 43. It will do the 1500 ping every 20 - 30 minutes after the first time but once reset it goes back to 43.
Do you think i will just have to deal with this ping spiking or is there something i could do? I mainly play league of legends which doesn't really seem to use much data.

Thank you.

Oct 24, 2018
I am basically a lay person, but just for visibility and to offer more conjecture: Perhaps it uses so little data that either the router/hotspot or your device is trying to "background" the data usage. I would consider changing any settings for your device and router for maximum performance mode or something to that effect while playing LoL

Oct 24, 2018
Thanks for the info cornwallje. I tried playing with the wifi/data settings for the EE dongle hotspot but still having the same issue. It has actually got worse today. Been doing it 3 or 4 times every match now. I just find it strange how as soon as i do a quick restart of the device it goes back to normal ping. Maybe i should just contact EE.

It would be nice if the cell companies had some decent tools. It could be a firmware issue with the hotspot but it also could just be the cell network.

I know when I use my phone data plan on the phone the ping times will change all the sudden. Since it is not a game you can notice it but it does not cause me a huge issue. What I started doing was running a APP that tracked the cell tower I was connected to. It seems that the strongest cell tower I can get is near the highway and during certain times they will force me to a lower signal level tower...I suspect because too many people in cars are trying to use the other tower.

The cell company try to balance their networks and don't really seem to care how good the signal you get actually is. I changed providers because it was dropping my telephone calls when they did that little trick also.

Oct 24, 2018
Maybe i should get a different device like a Huawei B315 to put my sim in and the 4GEE mifi is pretty small and gets hot. I just don't want to waste money.