Question Using a 24-pin ATX 90 degree angle adapter at the PSU end ?

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Can anyone confirm if it's OK to use any 90 degree ATX adapter at the PSU end instead of the motherboard end they are normally intended for? There's not a lot of space in my ITX case below the PSU sockets and an angle adapter would be a much neater solution for the ATX cable.

The particular Cooler Master one I want to use has anti-ripple caps built in so I'm wondering if it makes any difference which end of the 24-PIN cable it's used on. The cheaper no-brand ones are direct pin to pin connectors (with no caps) so I'm confident it makes no difference which end they go - like an extension cable.

I'm just worried their might be some difference with the Cooler Master one that I'm not aware of?

TIA

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I won't take the risk with the CM product. But just to be clear, if I use an adapter which is just straight through pin to pin connections - like an extension cable - and plug the normal cable supplied with the PSU into that, there shouldn't be any problem, right?

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
or even a different plug or 2 plugs
As Viking says, it's possible your Cooler Master has two different sized connectors on the PSU chassis. The associated 24-way modular cable might be similar to the one shown in the photo below, with a 10-way and a 14-way connector at the PSU end and a 24-way (20+4) at the motherboard end.

PSU-Modular-14-10pin-to-20-4Pin-ATX-24Pin-Motherboard-Sleeve-Power-Supply-Cable-for-Corsair.jpg_640x640.jpg

If your Cooler Maater has modular connectors and the ATX 24-way feed comes out on two connectors, e.g. 10-way + 14-way, you won't be able to plug a standard 24-way right angle adapter directly into the PSU.

sacentre

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2014
Thanks for the detailed reply. The CM adapter I have is this one.

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Degree-Adapter-Capacitor/dp/B07HZ6B6R1

I emailed CM to ask if this could be plugged into the 24-pin socket on the PSU instead of at the motherboard end but they don't recommend doing this. I assume they're referring to the ripple caps which are intended for smoothing voltage at the MB end. Whatever the reason, I decided not to risk it.

However, I also have a no-brand adapter without ripple caps (like the JSER product lower down on the web page). This one is simply a direct pin-to-pin, M to F connector and is electrically identical to an extension cable. So, my assumption is this can be plugged into the PSU with the regular PSU supplied ATX cable connecting to the MB.