[SOLVED] Using a 2nd Router as an AP, Extender or Repeater?

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Hi all. Some help is greatly appreciated because the more I read, the more confused I get. Here is my deal....

1st Main Router is . . 1.1, now 2nd should be 1.2 OR 2.1? Does it depend on if it is an AP or not? Which is better, an AP, Repeater or Extender, I am fairly certain an Extender halves the output so which is best? My 2nd Router has the LAN DHCP Turned off but I can see how to turn off the WAN DHCP. It has a spot to change it to Static or some other things, but not off like I was able to do in the LAN. Now it has an AP Feature, is that what is best to use? Can I still access the 2nd Router if it is in AP Mode? Right now it is not and I am able to still access the GUI at 1.2 and is that considered it's own Router this way? I hope I have every piece of info needed here for your help. Lastly, I have the 2nd Router's WiFi 2,4 as the same name and pw as my Main's 2.4 but the 5Ghz is different, Is this okay? Should they both be the same on each? I was hoping to use it this way to leave my private stuff on the 2nd Routers 5G but if that isn't practical, please let me know. Thank you for any and all help. I have 8 people in this house and sometimes friends and with everyone home, I need to make this work better, Thanks and be safe all -TD

Solution
A router that has AP mode you can use the WAN port. If you use a LAN port then it does not matter if the router has AP mode or not. Mostly I think the difference is it will disable the DHCP server automatically when you set it to AP mode.
When you run as a AP the device is running as a switch all the router function is disabled and bypassed.

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Below is what I just read and answered about asking for help so I Will add it here:

"There are several dos and donts that will help speed up the process."

DO:

- Provide us with the make and model of your laptop (if applicable)
a Win10PC SFF, aWin7 HTPC and a Win7 with a Server Type CPU

- Provide us with the make and model of your router
Netgear 7450 Main and a WD AC1300 as the 2nd
- Provide us with the make and model of your modem
NetGear CM1000
- Provide us with the exact specifications of your PC (if applicable) including:

• You will also need to post your ISP and connection type*. Comcast Cable
  • You will also need to post the exact number of devices connected to your router (this includes tablets, smart phones, laptops, and desktop PCs) . 20+ at any given time if the kids friends are here.

How do you intend to connect them. If you are using a ethernet cable you want the device to run as a AP. The IP can be anything that does not conflict with other devices. Best if it is outside the range of IP the primary router dhcp gives to end devices. I tend to use high numbers but if your dhcp scope is say 1.10-1.100 you could use 1.2 if you wanted.

If you intend to use wifi to connect to the main router you are going to face many more limitations. First the second router would have to support it and that is not real common to run as a repeater. When you run in that mode you do pay a huge penalty in the performance.

The SSID can be the same or different. This tends to be a personal preference. Wifi does not roam very well even if you make them the same. If you are running as a repeater then you need to read the manual some require that everything match others you can make one radio different.

Note there really is no security in a LAN. Your traffic could be intercepted if someone where to tap the cable between the main and secondary router. There are other method like ARP poison that can be used to get data. LAN you need to be able to trust other people. It is still pretty safe it is not like someone will accidentally get your data they have to make quite a effort.

Reactions: Tony De

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
How do you intend to connect them. If you are using a ethernet cable you want the device to run as a AP. The IP can be anything that does not conflict with other devices. Best if it is outside the range of IP the primary router dhcp gives to end devices. I tend to use high numbers but if your dhcp scope is say 1.10-1.100 you could use 1.2 if you wanted.

If you intend to use wifi to connect to the main router you are going to face many more limitations. First the second router would have to support it and that is not real common to run as a repeater. When you run in that mode you do pay a huge penalty in the performance.

The SSID can be the same or different. This tends to be a personal preference. Wifi does not roam very well even if you make them the same. If you are running as a repeater then you need to read the manual some require that everything match others you can make one radio different.

Note there really is no security in a LAN. Your traffic could be intercepted if someone where to tap the cable between the main and secondary router. There are other method like ARP poison that can be used to get data. LAN you need to be able to trust other people. It is still pretty safe it is not like someone will accidentally get your data they have to make quite a effort.
Thanks much. Well the 3 Xbox's in the house don't seem to want to connect properly. It says they do but then it says it can't connect when launching apps or games. I have the first 10 of my lips below the DHCP for Static IPs. Is that good or no? I can put this into AP Mode (should I?) and I just might to see if that works better. I followed a video yesterday but it didn't use an AP Mode on the 2nd Router so I didn't. I am also confused if ethernet should go into the LAN or WAN of the 2nd router, FROM the Main so it is hooked wired. Xbox claims the NAT is open, but it doesn't launch and the STATS don't fetch for them, it says try back later No strength, packet loss or Latency stat etc.. Separate Question, do I need to FWD the Ports for Xbox on the AP too or not since they are already FWDed on the Main? If the Xbox is connected to the AP that is, I assume it is fine if its to the Main but it would be best if they were connected to the AP since its closer to the kids rooms, Thanks again for the helpful info and for any additional. Be safe -TD

A router that has AP mode you can use the WAN port. If you use a LAN port then it does not matter if the router has AP mode or not. Mostly I think the difference is it will disable the DHCP server automatically when you set it to AP mode.
When you run as a AP the device is running as a switch all the router function is disabled and bypassed.

Reactions: Tony De
Solution

Tony De

Honorable
Aug 8, 2015
Thanks again. One more question. If I am in AP Mode, do I lose the WiFi of the AP? The main reason I needed to do this is to get the kids Xbox's on one SSID with a better connection since the wifi reach upstairs is okay at best and with them all home all the time now, it seems to be weaker when more than 1 Xbox is in use.