[SOLVED] Using a 75Hz in CS:GO with a 60Hz monitor

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016
So today after being stuck with 60Hz monitors for years, i have figured out that the lower the resolution the more Hz you can pump out. So basically there is a lot of resolutions i can use with 75Hz but in CS:GO i sometimes use 1024 x 768. So i did some testing and set the resolution to 1024 x 768 in-game and set "-freq 75" in the games launch options to make CS:GO run at 75Hz, i then enabled v-sync and saw my FPS was locked at 75 basically confirming that it had worked. After all that i decided to change my in-game resolution to my native one (1920x1080) and then took a look at my FPS with v-sync still enabled, it was now locked at 60 FPS.

So basically i am going to guess and say that since 1024 x 728 supports 75Hz with this monitor that it works properly, and that 1920x1080 does not support 75Hz it then reverts back to 60Hz with CS:GO?

Few things to add, when i use 1024 x 768 in CS:GO its "stretched" to fit my whole screen, i'm not sure if that will effect anything.

Sorry if this is a weird question, i'm broke and having a chance to play 75hz is kind of interesting! The reason i'm asking this question is because i was also looking it up ahead of time and some people including myself are worried about damaging something, considering the whole time i thought 60Hz monitors couldn't go any higher. The whole concept worries me and i'm a bit skeptical and excited as well.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, 60Hz is max at 1080p but you may be able to push the screen a bit more by creating a custom resolution.

Try custom resolution utility

https://downloads.tomsguide.com/Custom-Resolution-Utility,0301-69525.html

Start with 61Hz and go from there and see what your screen can handle. If it blank screens, let the timer run out, dont press any keys to apply the change.

Reactions: Dreamable
Solution

Dreamable

Honorable
Oct 3, 2016

boju

Titan
Ambassador
like will it shorten the life span of the monitor?

Couldn't tell you. All i can say is there's always a risk overclocking anything. Maybe search people's experiences on the matter.

Reactions: Dreamable