Question Using a an external USB keyboard to enter passcode into a damaged iPhone 4s

vabsh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Hi everyone,

I apologize for my bad english.

Can you tell me, please, is this solution possible?

I have an ancient iPhone 4S, the screen is damaged and I can't enter the passcode to unlock the phone and backup my photos. Normally, I have a charging/data cable for the phone with 30-pin connector on one end and USB on the other.

Can I buy a USB hub and a female-to-female USB adapter to connect TO the phone:

- an ordinary external USB keyboard and

- a laptop

This way I plan to enter my passcode in the phone and unlock it and retrieve my photos in it.

- The external USB keyboard will be used to type the passcode

- the laptop will be used to mirror the screen of the phone, so I can see what am I doing, and to copy the files.

I installed the program 3uTools on my laptop and it offers a real-time screen mirror for the phone. However, it's just a picture coming from the phone, I can't control anything there, I can't click things etc.

The program also offers a file explorer for the iPhone (I can see my photos there, they are not lost, but I can't copy them, because I can't enter the passcode on my phone). If I can enter the passcode, copying will be allowed.

Please note that buying cables and adapters specificaly made for iPhone 4S would probably be impossible these days, since the model is outdated. Ordering online would take lot of time, I don't live in the US or nearby. That's why I plan to improvize.

Thank you.

vabsh

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2012
Thank you,
Phillip Corcoran

but I see contradictive info on the net.

I saw a video where a guy connects external wired keyboard to an iPhone via an adapter (not 4s, but still an iPhone) and he enters the passcode that way:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOmLVU_Q9dg

I also found out that wired external keyboards with 30-pin connectors exist and (it is claimed that) they work with iPhone 4S (or maybe just iPads?):
https://www.amazon.com/Macally-Wired-Keyboard-iPhone-iKey30/dp/B005J9Y81Y

All this gave me the idea to make an improvized setup incl. female adapter and a hub, but I'm not sure will it work or it's just a waste of time and money.

Thanks.