[SOLVED] Using a CM TX3 Evo on Ryzen r3 3300x

May 29, 2020
Hello. we are at the middle of summer and it's incredibly hot at 35 to 40 degrees everyday. I just built a new system and i don't want it to cook to hell. I picked a r3 3300x and used my old TX3 Evo as my cooling solution. I don't know if it's actually this hot because of the weather, but while playing heavy games like MW 2019 i easily hit 74 degrees after a while. Same goes for BF1 and similar heavy titles. After 3-4 times running a stress test with Cinebench i get a maximum of 78 degrees. The CPU runs at full clock (4.3GHz) in all the situations i mentioned. I believe TX3 Evo is not that bad of a cpu cooler. In fact it must be better than the Arctic Freezer 7x that some websites are recommending as a very good-cheap cooler for 3300x. But in operation, it's actually disappointing me big time. The temps are actually similar to the stock wraith stealth.
I recently even bought 2 extra fans for my case to improve the airflow, which makes it two fans for intake and one for exhaust. Should i wait for the summer to pass? or should i get a new cooler? would love to hear your recommendations. Thank you :D

Last edited:
Solution
Ryzen boosts according to temp headroom, voltages, amperages. What you didn't mention was the boost speeds. The cpu is dynamic, not set limit.

So if you had the stock cooler, you'd be (fictional numbers) getting 3.7GHz at full boost and 74°C. With the TX, it has more headroom, better capacity, so even though you still get 74(ish)°C, the boost is at 3.9GHz instead. If you moved upto a hyper212, you'd still be seeing 74(ish)°C, but boosts would be upto 4.2GHz instead. That gain in boosts being proportional to the availability of driving temps upto what the cpu sees as a safe limit, with the corresponding power usage.

That trend will continue upto the point where cpu power limits are reached, after which there's only one option left for...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzen boosts according to temp headroom, voltages, amperages. What you didn't mention was the boost speeds. The cpu is dynamic, not set limit.

So if you had the stock cooler, you'd be (fictional numbers) getting 3.7GHz at full boost and 74°C. With the TX, it has more headroom, better capacity, so even though you still get 74(ish)°C, the boost is at 3.9GHz instead. If you moved upto a hyper212, you'd still be seeing 74(ish)°C, but boosts would be upto 4.2GHz instead. That gain in boosts being proportional to the availability of driving temps upto what the cpu sees as a safe limit, with the corresponding power usage.

That trend will continue upto the point where cpu power limits are reached, after which there's only one option left for the larger coolers, drop the cpu temps.

It's a Ryzen, not an intel. You say you are disappointed with the temps, but did you look at the boost levels first. I'm betting the Arctic got better boost levels even though temps were similar to the stock cooler. You really won't do much with temps until the cpu hits max boost limits, power limits.

Intels are maximum performance, right out of the gate, they hand everybody a sledgehammer regardless of job or strength and let the user just deal with the consequences. AMD looks at the job, looks at the user and hands out the appropriate hammer size, even if that's not the preferred size and weight to the user.

You may not like the temps, but the Ryzen is giving as high a performance as it can, inside what it considers safe limits. Of temp, voltage, amperage. You'd need OC, manual charge of settings and speeds to nullify that, and drop temps etc.

Last edited:
Solution
May 29, 2020

That trend will continue upto the point where cpu power limits are reached, after which there's only one option left for the larger coolers, drop the cpu temps.

It's a Ryzen, not an intel. You say you are disappointed with the temps, but did you look at the boost levels first. I'm betting the Arctic got better boost levels even though temps were similar to the stock cooler. You really won't do much with temps until the cpu hits max boost limits, power limits.
I'm sorry you're right. All the temps i mentioned are the temps i get when running at full 4.3GHz speed. I'll edit the Thread and add this.

Last edited: