[SOLVED] Using a high-end router as an AP ?

trifty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I live in a condo and I’m trying to make sense of getting ethernet connection in one of the rooms.

The current setup is the modem -> patch panel -> Router in hall.

So to get ethernet connection in my room I know i have to use a 2nd router as:

modem —> Router 1 -> patch panel -> Router 2 (for wifi) and also ethernet for rooms.

However, I currently have the ISP provided router and recently got a WIFI6 TP-Link router (miles better) and my question was, if I use the ISP provided router as the 1st router before the patch panel, then use the WIFI6 router as a wired AP in the house, will that diminish wifi performance?

Solution
theres a main door and then a grill door. The modem and fiber point is in a cabinet in between (kinda like above the shoe storage). Thus having one router just there diminishes the signal inside as the main door is fireproof rated as well. Open to any suggestions :)
Gotcha. Makes more sense now.

You can use either router to be your 'router1' and either shut off or leave on the wifi on that one. Then you can use 'router2' as an access point anywhere you want to that has a jack going back to the patch panel.
The way you cable it has nothing to do with wifi performance. All that matters is how strong the signals are to the router/ap you are connecting to. In some ways having too much wifi can hurt performance because the signals interfere.

In general it is always better to only have a single router and run all other wifi radio sources as AP.

I will assume this is all inside your own condo and there is no shared connection to other condos. That is more of a security concern when you run devices as AP.

Reactions: trifty

kanewolf

Titan
I live in a condo and I’m trying to make sense of getting ethernet connection in one of the rooms.

The current setup is the modem -> patch panel -> Router in hall.

So to get ethernet connection in my room I know i have to use a 2nd router as:

modem —> Router 1 -> patch panel -> Router 2 (for wifi) and also ethernet for rooms.

However, I currently have the ISP provided router and recently got a WIFI6 TP-Link router (miles better) and my question was, if I use the ISP provided router as the 1st router before the patch panel, then use the WIFI6 router as a wired AP in the house, will that diminish wifi performance?
It shouldn't as long as you configure the ISP router and the TP Link correctly. You should be able to turn OFF the WIFI on the ISP router so that you have a single WIFI source just like you do now.

Reactions: trifty

trifty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Thanks for all the replies guys! Yeah the problem is that the patch bay and the modem (fiber cable connection) is actually OUTSIDE the unit and if I stick to one router it being outside, ill lose quite abit of WIFI connectivity inside the house, thus the idea of having 2 routers one out (for ethernet ports insidr house to work) and one in the unit for better WIFI. Ideally it would be good to have two of the same (high quality routers) but wondering if I use one crappy router just for the sake of patching outside and a proper router inside, would that work ?

trifty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
It shouldn't as long as you configure the ISP router and the TP Link correctly. You should be able to turn OFF the WIFI on the ISP router so that you have a single WIFI source just like you do now.

this sounds doable! But would that affect the connection of the second router inside in any way? Do i just set the second router as an AP in the settings?

trifty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
The way you cable it has nothing to do with wifi performance. All that matters is how strong the signals are to the router/ap you are connecting to. In some ways having too much wifi can hurt performance because the signals interfere.

In general it is always better to only have a single router and run all other wifi radio sources as AP.

I will assume this is all inside your own condo and there is no shared connection to other condos. That is more of a security concern when you run devices as AP.
Gotcha. The main router inside will be connected via the first router outside by a CAT6 as well.. just wondering if it will jeapordise the performance of my main router inside in any way?

Do i also configure the main router inside as an AP? And yes I think i can turn off the wifi from the router outside. Never done this before 😅

trifty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
This sounds like an oddball setup. There's no way an isp usually leaves their equipment outside like that. There's more details to this setup that are missing.

theres a main door and then a grill door. The modem and fiber point is in a cabinet in between (kinda like above the shoe storage). Thus having one router just there diminishes the signal inside as the main door is fireproof rated as well. Open to any suggestions :)

You can use either router to be your 'router1' and either shut off or leave on the wifi on that one. Then you can use 'router2' as an access point anywhere you want to that has a jack going back to the patch panel.

Solution

trifty

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

haha yes I will try this. Will it also affect my Router 2 since its wifi6 and more ‘advanced’? Shouldnt right?