[SOLVED] using a second monitor with Windows 10

bromberg

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
Hello!

I would like to use my Samsung smart TV (UN32J525DAF) as a second monitor for my desktop PC.

My PC only has 1 HDMI port which is being used for my main monitor but it also has a VGA port which is what I want to use with this smart TV (which has no VGA ports).

1. What Samsung menu options on the smart TV do I need to configure?
  2. I do have an HDMI-to-VGA connector (which allows me to connect my PC's VGA port to the smart TV) but I see no display from my PC on the smart TV.

Thanks in advance to all who reply.
Dan

Solution
VGA is analog only
HDMI is digital only.
The two are rarely compatible.

Your best bet is to install a low-end graphics card into your pc that has multiple digital outputs (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort). Something in the range of a GT 720 to GT 1030.

-Wolf sends
If your Samsung has only HDMI inputs - you have nothing to configure, just to select the HDMI Port where your PC is connected to.

HDMI-VGA adapters are uni-directional, so it depends which one you have (HDMI source to VGA display is done much easier).

If your main monitor has VGA - you can test the adapter with it, or swap monitors.

bromberg

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
If your Samsung has only HDMI inputs - you have nothing to configure, just to select the HDMI Port where your PC is connected to.

HDMI-VGA adapters are uni-directional, so it depends which one you have (HDMI source to VGA display is done much easier).

If your main monitor has VGA - you can test the adapter with it, or swap monitors.
I had already tried what you suggested but am wondering if my PC's VGA output signal can be converted to an HDMI input signal for the Samsung monitor to interpret.
That's what the adapter should be doing but I don't get any image at all.
Both my primary and secondary monitors only accept HDMI cables (no VGA) which is why I am using the adapter.
On the remote, I click: SOURCE, scroll over to HDMI2/DVi PC, hit ENTER and get this message: THE SOURCE IS NOT CONNECTED. PLEASE CHECK CONNECTIONS AGAIN.
I recheck my connections, they seem tight, so I'm at a loss on how to proceed.

Wolfshadw

Titan
VGA is analog only
HDMI is digital only.
The two are rarely compatible.

Your best bet is to install a low-end graphics card into your pc that has multiple digital outputs (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort). Something in the range of a GT 720 to GT 1030.

-Wolf sends

Solution

JinxTheWorld

Commendable
Jan 10, 2021
Aside from a HDMI splitter or using a display port (which wont give full resolution or hz), you can if you are lucky enough to have one, use a second GPU. This would also depend on your MoBo of course.

That is what i did. I have a 55' QLED 4k 60hz TV plugged into a 3060Ti and a 27' 1440p 144hz monitor plugged into a 1660Ti. Works well enough, with some fiddling around with some games, but that is all.