Question Using a USB Drive on a 1990s Computer Using DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 11, 2023
Hi Everyone,

For important reasons I'm trying to transfer files from an old HP Pavilion 8250 computer that runs on DOS, to a USB drive. Ya, I know, it's an antique from the 1990s and if you're too young, you probably never heard of or much less used DOS (Disk Operating System). For those who did use DOS and USB drives back then, I really need your help.

There are a couple of USB ports in back, to which I attached my USB drive. It's the type that has a glowing light, signaling a computer accepted it. The light went on so I assume it was accepted.

However, when I get into DOS, I don't know what drive specification to use. I never used USB drives during the 1990s with DOS. To use its 3.5 inch diskette drive, I would write " A:\ " or "B:\" after the DOS hard drive specification "C:\>" and I'd access the diskette.

But after trying to direct the computer to use the USB drive, using letter specifications D:\, E:\....etc....until J:\ none of them gave access the USB drive. Should I use a letter specification after "J" like "K" or "L" or is there another DOS command that will give me access to the USB drive?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

Sincerely,

Paul

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
You need a USB driver for DOS. There are several out there to choose from, also certain updated versions of DOS that support it natively.

Just like you need an ATAPI driver for optical drives in DOS, or sound drivers. Just another piece of hardware that you have to tell the OS how to talk to.

Plug and Play was quite revolutionary for that kind of thing.

Yup, you need drivers like these three files, if you put these two lines in a bat file you can execute it and it will scan usb ports and mount any drive it will find.
Actual DOS can only see up to 2Gb partitions so be aware of that, if you use freedos it can see much larger partitions.
You might also have to change settings in your bios to enable the usb port in the first place and to set it as mass storage.

devload usbaspi1.sys
devload di1000dd.sys

You can find the files here alongside alternatives if these don't work for your hardware.

Apr 11, 2023
Hi Everyone,

Not sure if this question is appropriate for this forum, if not please re-direct me. I didn't see a clear choice. Thanks!

For important reasons I'm trying to transfer files from an old HP Pavilion 8250 computer that runs on DOS, to a USB drive. Ya, I know, it's an antique from the 1990s and if you're too young, you probably never heard of or much less used DOS (Disk Operating System). For those who did use DOS and USB drives back then, I really need your help.

There are a couple of USB ports in back, to which I attached my USB drive. It's the type that has a glowing light, signaling a computer accepted it. The light went on so I assume it was accepted.

However, when I get into DOS, I don't know what drive specification to use. I never used USB drives during the 1990s with DOS. To use its 3.5 inch diskette drive, I would write " A:\ " or "B:\" after the DOS hard drive specification "C:\>" and I'd access the diskette.

But after trying to direct the computer to use the USB drive, using letter specifications D:\, E:\....etc....until J:\ none of them gave access the USB drive. Should I use a letter specification after "J" like "K" or "L" or is there another DOS command that will give me access to the USB drive?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

Sincerely,

Paul

USAFRet

Titan
The drive letter is irrelevant if the operating system does not have the relevant drivers to talk to a USB device.
"DOS" does not, by default.

Apr 11, 2023
You need a USB driver for DOS. There are several out there to choose from, also certain updated versions of DOS that support it natively.

Just like you need an ATAPI driver for optical drives in DOS, or sound drivers. Just another piece of hardware that you have to tell the OS how to talk to.

Thanks Eximo,

...but when I search for a place to purchase a USB drive for DOS, I don't get any. I get ways to create a bootable USB drive in DOS (like with the Rufus app), but no actual USB drive made for DOS. Can you tell me where I can buy one? Thanks!

Paul

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks Eximo,

...but when I search for a place to purchase a USB drive for DOS, I don't get any. I get ways to create a bootable USB drive in DOS (like with the Rufus app), but no actual USB drive made for DOS. Can you tell me where I can buy one? Thanks!

Paul
There is no USB drive specifically made for DOS.
USB is USB.

The problem is that your OS does not have the relevant drivers.

Native DOS does not speak the USB dialect.

Apr 11, 2023

Sorry Eximo, just realized you wrote "driver" and not "drive", so there are no USB drives for DOS, only the drivers. I get it, so I must download a USB driver for DOS. Thanks again!

Apr 11, 2023
Yup, you need drivers like these three files, if you put these two lines in a bat file you can execute it and it will scan usb ports and mount any drive it will find.
Actual DOS can only see up to 2Gb partitions so be aware of that, if you use freedos it can see much larger partitions.
You might also have to change settings in your bios to enable the usb port in the first place and to set it as mass storage.

devload usbaspi1.sys
devload di1000dd.sys

You can find the files here alongside alternatives if these don't work for your hardware.
Thanks for your advice TerryLaze! I will focus on updating the drives, but I'm very inexperienced with all of this!

Paul

ARICH5

Distinguished
ugh, i remember building XP machines with usb. each header and wire had to connected meticuously (sp) to the small little pins with various colors. a real pita.

anyways have you thought of transferring the usb files to a dvd-r/rw ?

Better still. Remove the drive from the "DOS" machine and using an IDE-USB (assuming it's that old SATA wasn't a thing then) adapter, connect to the destination machine then pull off what you need and transfer to a USB drive from there. You can also drop back to 3.5" floppy use as well. There are USB floppy drives available for use on newer machines.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Always DOS networking if you've got a compatible ethernet card, and a network switch willing to slow down to 1 or 10Mbps.

I can only recall setting that up once in my youth before we switched everything to Windows 95. Actually still have some new in packaging 10MB ethernet adapters somewhere. They were 2 dollars at a computer show.

Apr 11, 2023
ugh, i remember building XP machines with usb. each header and wire had to connected meticuously (sp) to the small little pins with various colors. a real pita.

anyways have you thought of transferring the usb files to a dvd-r/rw ?
Hi ARICH5 -

I inserted a CD (with games for Windows 95) and heard the CD player whirling and making sounds as if the computer was reading it, but I did not see anything that indicated the computer accepted and was reading the CD in DOS. Granted, the files on it are for Windows, but shouldn't DOS show there is a CD and allow me to see the files on it?

I know to see the contents on a 3.5 inch diskette I must do: " C:\ >B:\ " to change drives to the diskette drive. Then do: "B:\dir" to see a directory of contents. But is there a DOS command to go from " C:\> " to the CD drive to see the contents on the CD?

Or is the CD player malfunctioning and thus I can't see the contents?

Thanks for any pointers you can give to me!!

Paul

USAFRet

Titan
Hi ARICH5 -

I inserted a CD (with games for Windows 95) and heard the CD player whirling and making sounds as if the computer was reading it, but I did not see anything that indicated the computer accepted and was reading the CD in DOS. Granted, the files on it are for Windows, but shouldn't DOS show there is a CD and allow me to see the files on it?

I know to see the contents on a 3.5 inch diskette I must do: " C:\ >B:\ " to change drives to the diskette drive. Then do: "B:\dir" to see a directory of contents. But is there a DOS command to go from " C:\> " to the CD drive to see the contents on the CD?

Or is the CD player malfunctioning and thus I can't see the contents?

Thanks for any pointers you can give to me!!

Paul
Just like USB, DOS does not natively speak CD or DVD.
Drivers.....

What is your overall goal here?
To maybe get the contents off the hard drive, on to something else?

Apr 11, 2023
Better still. Remove the drive from the "DOS" machine and using an IDE-USB (assuming it's that old SATA wasn't a thing then) adapter, connect to the destination machine then pull off what you need and transfer to a USB drive from there. You can also drop back to 3.5" floppy use as well. There are USB floppy drives available for use on newer machines.
Wow, you're way beyond my capabilities, I'm definitely NOT a computer savvy person, much less a tech! We'll see what happens! Thanks!

Apr 11, 2023
Just like USB, DOS does not natively speak CD or DVD.
Drivers.....

What is your overall goal here?
To maybe get the contents off the hard drive, on to something else?
OK, good question.

I created a human rights violations database for Guatemala with Dbase III-Plus from 1988-1991, all with DOS. I've always wanted to share it with the world so people could know the horrors during that country's civil war. Now the Forensic Anthropology Foundation of Guatemala (FAFG) wants to use it to ID victims' remains, find more clandestine cemeteries, and possibly reveal perpetrators of those violations.

But the entire database is...

(A) on 40+ different 3.5-inch diskettes ...

(B) and a "cleaned" version minus duplicate cases of violations, also in Dbase III-Plus, is on a 90 MB Bernoulli disk. I must also safely move that from the Bernoulli disk ASAP.

But right now, I'm simply trying to achieve (A), to copy the DbaseIII-Plus files (about 30,000 of them) from those diskettes on to a USB drive (or on a CD) so I can send these files to them, maybe by e-mail, little by little. They have the DOS computers and access to Dbase IV (which should work) so they can query information for the Foundation's research.

Thus my interest in getting my 1990s computer to recognize a USB drive and/or a CD.

Thanks for your question.

USAFRet

Titan
So the entire data set exists on a stack of 3.5" floppies?

Get a USB floppy drive, and use any current PC.
Under $20 at Amazon.

Get the data OFF those floppies first.
Then, make 3 or 4 full copies on current hardware.
Then worry about dbase or whatever, or some other database tool.

Assuming, of course, these 30 year old floppy disks are still readable.

Apr 11, 2023
So the entire data set exists on a stack of 3.5" floppies?

Get a USB floppy drive, and use any current PC.
Under $20 at Amazon.

Get the data OFF those floppies first.
Then, make 3 or 4 full copies on current hardware.
Then worry about dbase or whatever, or some other database tool.

Assuming, of course, these 30 year old floppy disks are still readable.

Yes, the 40+ 3.5-inch diskettes have my entire database. I will look on Amazon for a USB floppy drive, but I hope it will work with my 1990s computer and with DOS.

Yes, my goal is to first get the dbase off the diskettes first, onto a USB drive and/or a CD, and have 3-4 separate copies of the entire dbase. You are absolutely right! It's the only dbase in the world that's that big and geo-temporally coded.

I have not inserted any of my dbase files into that old DOS computer yet because I'm afraid of accidently erasing data or ruining the diskette, etc. I'm experimenting with other 3.5-inch diskettes with DOS created files. When I'm sure of a way to safely transfer files from them to a USB and/or CD, I'll start using them!

The diskettes have been cleanly stored in a moderate temp/humidity, nothing terribly extreme. But you're right, I'm assuming they are still readable. We'll see....

Thanks again for your input. I may be tapping on your shoulder and the shoulders of others, again for some advice. When I started out in 1988, I thought I was on the mountain top of technology with my Toshiba laptop, but I fell way, WAY behind and now 11-year-olds know more than me about technologies!!!!

Apr 11, 2023
No.

It will (probably) work with a current system, for you to copy the contents of those floppies to a current system.
Got it! I've looked on Amazon, and yes, they cost from $16-$26 or so. Thanks for your advice.

(1) Do you know, or is there any way I can find out if those drives will copy DOS - created files onto my current HD. I use Windows 10 Home? I can post another question on Tom's Hardware.

(2) If I can copy them onto my current HD, do you know if I'll be able to see the DOS-created files on the diskettes before and/or after I copy them over?

Using a USB floppy drive would cut out the need to copy it onto an old HD, using DOS, then recopying files onto a USB drive or CD - two huge steps with which I'm having problems achieving. Thanks! We'll see what people say....

Status
Not open for further replies.