[SOLVED] Using a vpn on a router in AP mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 18, 2019
I have an ASUS RT-AC51U router, which I bought because my ISP router does not support a VPN, which I want to install on the router to enable devices that can’t support VPNs like TV for example.

my problem is that it appears that I have to set the router into access point mode to be able to connect it to my ISP router, that connects to the internet. Once setup as an AP, the option to install a VPN on the router no longer appears.

is there a way that I can connect the ASUS router in ‘normal’ router mode, so as to enable VPN support, and still use it in the same way as an access point

Solution
Asus is one of the easier routers to setup. I generally run the merlin firmware so I have not seen the factory image in a while. Your router does not support merlin but padavan works if you want/need more features.

Pretty much you log in change the lan ip and hit apply, unlike some routers the URL is auto updated with the new ip and it reloads on the new ip and you do not even have to log in again.

You likely want to configure the router to allow traffic that does not really need the vpn to bypass it. VPN puts a huge load on the cpu so it will cap your speed to around 30mbps.
A lot of router functions usually require the router to be in router mode. Not AP mode.

It should be able to work as a router. If you reset it and connect the ASUS WAN port to the ISP LAN port. But it will create it's own network. Not be a part of devices connected directly to your ISP router. So, connect everything to the ASUS afterward. Make sure the ISP router and your router are serving a different DHCP pool. If ISP LAN is 192.168.1.XXX set your ASUS LAN to something like 10.0.0.XXX. Keep you ASUS WAN on automatic though as you ISP router should provide IP info to your ASUS WAN.

You should also check if your ISP supplied router can be set into bridge mode or modem only mode. Whatever they call it to have their router/modem act only as a modem. This will mean everything will have to connect to your ASUS. You may also have to use a specific ISP LAN port in bridge mode.

Reactions: SamirD
A lot of router functions usually require the router to be in router mode. Not AP mode.

It should be able to work as a router. If you reset it and connect the ASUS WAN port to the ISP LAN port. But it will create it's own network. Not be a part of devices connected directly to your ISP router. So, connect everything to the ASUS afterward. Make sure the ISP router and your router are serving a different DHCP pool. If ISP LAN is 192.168.1.XXX set your ASUS LAN to something like 10.0.0.XXX. Keep you ASUS WAN on automatic though as you ISP router should provide IP info to your ASUS WAN.

You should also check if your ISP supplied router can be set into bridge mode or modem only mode. Whatever they call it to have their router/modem act only as a modem. This will mean everything will have to connect to your ASUS. You may also have to use a specific ISP LAN port in bridge mode.

This will work as long as the OP wants all traffic passed over the VPN, this isn't always desirable.

Mar 18, 2019
Thanks for the good response. I do not need devices to communicate with each other in any way, so not a problem using the above method - I just hope that the full manual for the Asus that comes on the CD explains how to change the routers LAN settings to something other than 192.168.1.xxx

again, my thanks

Asus is one of the easier routers to setup. I generally run the merlin firmware so I have not seen the factory image in a while. Your router does not support merlin but padavan works if you want/need more features.

Pretty much you log in change the lan ip and hit apply, unlike some routers the URL is auto updated with the new ip and it reloads on the new ip and you do not even have to log in again.

You likely want to configure the router to allow traffic that does not really need the vpn to bypass it. VPN puts a huge load on the cpu so it will cap your speed to around 30mbps.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.