Using an ASUS RT-N12 D1 as a repeater in college apartment

jerredpope

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
So I have a spare ASUS RT-N12 from my previous apartment that I want to use as a repeater in my new apartment. My new one has a complex wide wireless network, but I would like to have my own 'personal' network so I can use my Chromecast, etc.

However, the apartment complex network uses a browser login to authenticate the device you're connecting. Does anyone know of a way to setup the RT-N12 as a repeater in this environment?

Solution
I don't think so but you would have to see. The main issue is the factory firmware does not support the device running as a "client". In addition you can not use the more normal repeater/extender solution both because it requires the apartment to use WDS and the web authentication will cause you issues. The last major hurtle that I see that the device only has a single radio chip.

To make this work you would want to receive the WiFi signal via the wan. It would then hide all the internal machines behind a single ip and you could authenticate one time and all the rest of the devices could pass though.

Most third party firmware has the ability to make a wireless radio be a wan. The thing I don't know is if you can use the...
I don't think so but you would have to see. The main issue is the factory firmware does not support the device running as a "client". In addition you can not use the more normal repeater/extender solution both because it requires the apartment to use WDS and the web authentication will cause you issues. The last major hurtle that I see that the device only has a single radio chip.

To make this work you would want to receive the WiFi signal via the wan. It would then hide all the internal machines behind a single ip and you could authenticate one time and all the rest of the devices could pass though.

Most third party firmware has the ability to make a wireless radio be a wan. The thing I don't know is if you can use the same radio for wan and lan at the same time. You might be able to use vlans to do it....I have never looked into doing this. Most times you need a dual band router and you would use the 2.4g to connect to the remote and the 5g to run you stuff. More commonly people use 2 device one to act as the router and connect and a second running as a AP to talk to the local devices.

In addition to all this that particular router has lots of hardware revisions. Not all support third party firmware and even those that do need different firmware images.

I would look into buying a outdoor bridge that can run in router mode and connect it to your current device running as a AP. Ubiquiti sells many such devices for fairly inexpensive.

Solution