Question Using an old Dell Fan with an AM4 motherboard ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ismmostaar1

Honorable
May 28, 2018
It's a Yes or No answer for a newbie question, I'm slightly upgrading my old system to a mid range one, going to replace an LGA1156 MOBO with an AM4 one so i can be able to upgrade CPU and Ram, but due to my tight budget i would like to temporarily use an old 4-pin system 90mm fan like the one in picture.

So before i buy the MOBO i want to know if it's safe to use this old fan with something like a B450 or A520M..., i mean is it going to be a plug and play thing? do i have to do something in the BIOS? I'm afraid the fan might damage the MOBO or something, thanks.
2kqq.jpg

I'm not even going to bother reading the rest of what came after this, because this, is entirely incorrect. I've seen PLENTY of people connect proprietary Dell, HP and other OEMs connectors, that have entirely different pinouts but are still either three or four pin connectors, to headers they shouldn't have been connected to and smoke the board, or fan, or both, or even the PSU in some cases. There are quite a few four pin fan connectors that are NOT PWM and there are three pin system connectors with different pinouts than what the aftermarket board manufacturers generally use.
I didn't realize he was talking about some proprietary board sorry.

I didn't realize he was talking about some proprietary board sorry.
Dude, you don't ever need to apologize to me. You help so many people here with really good advice, if you miss ONE thing, ever, well, fack, I'm certainly not going to be the one to say anything about that. I miss crap all the time. I'm not offended and for sure I hope I did not offend either. Just trying to give good advice, all the time. So, we are cool. Plus, I'd be hard pressed to advise against most things you say because I have rarely ever seen you suggest anything that was not directly on point. And that is that.

ismmostaar1

Honorable
May 28, 2018
If you choose to run your new hardware on such a unit, especially since it's for one thing not designed for use with ANYTHING other than what it was originally designed to run with, but also because it's old, and additionally wasn't that great especially for Delta, from the start, you would be very unwise.
UPDATE: I'am running my new hardware with the old Delta PSU, i thought of giving it a shot and now everything runs fine, I knew it since my former CPU i7-860 had TDP of 95W while my current R5-3600 is only 65W, I mean there's no reason why the PSU won't work with the hardware that uses less wattage, as long as it has the needed 12pin and 4pin connectors for the new motherboard it'll work, though I'm sing a 1050ti low profile so my GPU don't need to be connected to the PSU, it was the best 60$ I saved in my life.

Last edited: