[SOLVED] Using an old gpu for secondary output.

Feb 9, 2022
Hello All. I'll be building a new system in a couple of weeks. My preferred motherboard has only a single graphics output (HDMI 2.1). I'll be putting a Ryzen 5 5600G processor in the system, along side 32GB RAM. I want to connect my main monitor to the GPU from the CPU, but need a second video output for my TV. The TV will only be used for playing videos (720 or 1080) and DVDs. Is it possible to use the 5600G's GPU for gaming etc on my monitor, and an old card I have lying aroung (don't laugh at my pathetic Geforce 610). I'm intending to buy a decent GPU in a few months when I get some more money in the bank, I just want to use the old card as a secondary output. Can this be done without crippling the performance of the 5600G's built in GPU?

Solution
What motherboard that takes a 5600G are you thinking of that only has a single video output on it, because even the most basic ones normally have several? I can't recall the last time I saw a motherboard with only a single video output on it.

In any case, yes, there is no problem with running the integrated graphics AND a second video card, but since that video card is a pre-UEFI type legacy card it may or may not be supported by the motherboard in question. Some newer boards don't have much support for that type of legacy hardware, but a lot of them still can as well.
What motherboard that takes a 5600G are you thinking of that only has a single video output on it, because even the most basic ones normally have several? I can't recall the last time I saw a motherboard with only a single video output on it.

In any case, yes, there is no problem with running the integrated graphics AND a second video card, but since that video card is a pre-UEFI type legacy card it may or may not be supported by the motherboard in question. Some newer boards don't have much support for that type of legacy hardware, but a lot of them still can as well.

Solution