Question Using an old graphics card on windows 10 (MSI h510m-a pro motherboard and radeon 6870 graphics)

john-420

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
Hey guys. I upgraded my motherboard and CPU to an MSI h510m-a pro motherboard and intel core i3 processor. I'm using the hard and ssd drive from my last build, both are in very good condition. The drives were with a gigabyte M/B with an APU for a long while. Everything is running fine, I'm just dissatisfied with the graphics I'm getting. I bought a second hand 'ati radeon 6870' graphics card by asus, as I needed some kind of graphics card to get on to install windows and the drivers as graphics is not integrated, so was eager for a graphics card to just get everything going, which it is. This is a card that was released back in 2010.

I did a fresh install of windows 10. In device manager it was just saying the 'microsoft basic display adapter' under display adapter. I tried updating the driver through microsoft but it said it was up to date. A program called 'driver reviver' updated it for me and now on device manager it says 'amd radeon HD 6800 series'. I googled the driver version and it seems the up to date version. But the graphics are poor. No sound is going through the displayport, but i'm not sure if this card permits that though. Displayport can transmit sound apparently.

Is there anything I can do to get the graphics to work better? I have tried googling to see if anybody has ran this card with this motherboard or even on windows 10 but can't find much. I'm already thinking I will just need a better graphics card. Even just an mp4 in 720p is not the greatest.

Colif

Win 11 Master
AMD have 2 types of drivers
Catalyst drivers for modern cards
Legacy driver for everything else.

Alas there is only 1 legacy driver for multiple different cards so what you have is probably best you going to get.

new card might be answer.

Reactions: john-420

john-420

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
AMD have 2 types of drivers
Catalyst drivers for modern cards
Legacy driver for everything else.

Alas there is only 1 legacy driver for multiple different cards so what you have is probably best you going to get.

new card might be answer.
Thanks for replying. Definitely new card I guess. I downloaded the windows 10 driver for this card from AMD directly, but during install the screen flickers then goes black, but hard drive light still flashes a lot so windows must be still doing its thing. This happens after resetting too. Goes black screen whilst windows is loading but hard drive light continues to flash a lot.

I will just use this card for now on the driver it is on until I get a more compatible card. And quieter lol.

john-420

Honorable
Feb 20, 2017
Oh well, I thought I would ask.
My CPU is the same situation.
No worries I can see it would be the first thing to ask. I think I know what the problem is now. I don't think it will output full resolution and sound so it crashes. The only thing that it will work on is windows 10 but with the basic Microsoft driver. When the proper driver is installed from AMD it crashes, until I go in safe mode and delete it.

It crashes when I try to run linux mint but it crashes as the desktop is about to appear. I hear a little bit of the welcome to linux sound before it crashes.

It's definitely getting enough power so must just be a bad card. I put new thermal paste on and cleaned it. Made no difference.

I will be buying a new card and not second hand this time.