[SOLVED] Using an old HD7850 GPU with new Z490 MBO

Jan 18, 2021
So my pretty ancient machine (i5-4690k, Asus Z97-A, 8GB DDR3 and Radeon Sapphire 7850) is way past due for an upgrade.

My plan is to get:
  • Core i5-10600KF (but not fixed on that - prepared to look at i7s, i9s or even Ryzens)
  • Z490 motherboard (currently looking at the MSI MAG Z490 but again, not fixed)
  • 2x16GB Corsair 3600MHz DDR4
What I'd like to do is augment that with an RTX3080 but since getting hold of one of those seems currently impossible, I'm thinking I'd just get the above and stick with my HD7850 until the summer when hopefully NVidia stock may improve.

My concern is whether such an GPU will work with the current motherboard chipsets and specifically BIOS. As far as I can tell my Sapphire 7850 doesn't support UEFI. Can I run everything on legacy BIOS until I upgrade my GPU and then switch? Will this mess up my Windows installation?

Ideally I'd also like to use a Samsung 970 Evo as the boot drive but I think NVMe requires EFI to boot?

Am I best just waiting (until God knows when NVidia have stock again) and getting everything together?

Thanks in advance for your advice.