Using an old HDD on a 'new' PC / Re-installing Windows 8 to a 'new' PC.

Zyacloisk

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Hi guys, I have recently confused myself and would like someone to clear it up for me.

Basically I am in the process of upgrading my PC. I have a new PSU and GPU installed in my old system but my next purchases will be all the other components (MOBO, CPU, case etc) apart from the HDD. The reason for this was that I was just going to connect it to the new motherboard/system and just boot it up like nothing changed. However I recently read that it's not the best idea to do this due to the drivers causing incapability etc...

So first of all I'd like to know is what I said above is true; that using an old hard drive on a new system is not a good idea.

If it is true then I'd like to know if there is a way that I can transfer Windows 8 to a new HDD/format HDD whilst booting up for the first time on the 'new' pc. I'm not too bothered about losing data as I will just transfer some things to an external HDD.

I hope this made sense. If you have any questions that you need me to answer then just post and I will try and answer them.

Solution

The licensing says that is not transferable to a new PC (motherboard). Plus, you almost certainly don't have an install disk to do it with.
The license is embedded in the motherboard.
And even if you could, now you have...

Zyacloisk

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

My Windows 8 was preinstalled from when I bought the whole PC.

USAFRet

Titan
Then that license is tied to that original PC.

Specific licensing from MS here:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/legal/IntellectualProperty/UseTerms/Default.aspx

If you're building a 'new' PC, you can't have the same license on both machines. 1 license, 1 PC.

Your options?
Either buy a new OS license for the new PC and keep both machines
Or sell the old machine, and use that money to buy a new OS for the new one.

Zyacloisk

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

So there is not a way to transfer the license to the new PC?

Anyway thanks for your help.

USAFRet

Titan

The licensing says that is not transferable to a new PC (motherboard). Plus, you almost certainly don't have an install disk to do it with.
The license is embedded in the motherboard.
And even if you could, now you have other hardware with no OS license.

So either just buy a new OS for the new system, or sell the old one and use that money to get a new OS.
And if you buy it and you install it...it is fully transferable to other hardware when you want. New motherboard, whole new PC, whatever.
Preinstalled from the manufacturer - nope.

Solution
Jun 12, 2014
From what I was reading on an official Microsoft site for windows 8 (http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.aspx), you can transfer the OS to a new machine as long as you uninstall from the old machine first. Please look at the link and select your version of windows 8 from left drop down arrow in upper corner of page.

Good Luck.