Question Using CPU when lacking GPU?

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
Hello,

My GPU has died. My CPU is i7 4770 and I have 8 GB of RAM.

What can I do to adjust settings best in order to have the best performance in tasks like light gaming, light editing, heavy web browsing?

Thanks.

My GPU has died. My CPU is i7 4770 and I have 8 GB of RAM.
What can I do to adjust settings best in order to have the best performance in tasks like light gaming, light editing, heavy web browsing?
You can forget about gaming on iGPU on i7-4770. It's way too weak.

8GB of ram is rather low already. Now iGPU will reserve portion if it exclusively for itself. What you want to do is limit allocated system ram for iGPU.

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
You can forget about gaming on iGPU on i7-4770. It's way too weak.

8GB of ram is rather low already. Now iGPU will reserve portion if it exclusively for itself. What you want to do is limit allocated system ram for iGPU.
I noted it is for light gaming. I am able to run rather smoothly games from early 2000's and I'm fine with those for the moment.

How do I limit ram for the iGPU?

InvalidError

Titan
Can you please direct me to that option? I've been looking for it under the Display settings but I can't find it. Windows 7
Performance vs Quality is a setting in the GPU drivers' control panel, not in Windows itself.

Regardless of how low you go with in-game details, gaming on Intel's IGPs is still going to be pretty miserable. Ryzen's Vega8 IGP is about twice as fast as Intel's best in most cases and that's merely adequate in a fair number of games without having to sacrifice nearly everything to get there.

InvalidError

Titan
You do it from inside BIOS. Specific iGPU settings control iGPU allocated system ram.
Got to keep in mind that GPU memory usage won't magically vanish from setting reserved memory to minimum, Windows still uses some to render the desktop, Chrome and FireFox use a lot to render pages and their UI unless you disable hardware acceleration, and games still need whatever they need on top of that. You'll still end up with 500+MB effectively hogged by the IGP most of the time even if it isn't reserved outright.

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
Performance vs Quality is a setting in the GPU drivers' control panel, not in Windows itself.
I am in the control panel of Intel graphics and I can't seem to find the setting. I've looked through each and every of the sections here;

vpPmcQv.png

InvalidError

Titan
I am in the control panel of Intel graphics and I can't seem to find the setting. I've looked through each and every of the sections here;
Maybe Intel's control panel simply doesn't have it since the IGP needs details to be set so low to be palatable. On Nvidia's control panel, the Quality-Performance slider is the first entry under 3D Settings and simply provides presets for itemized detail settings.

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
Do you know, how to enter BIOS of your motherboard?
I do, I'm just not very knowledgeable in BIOS so I'm afraid to mess something up and not knowing how to undo. Would your advice dramatically improve performance?

Maybe Intel's control panel simply doesn't have it since the IGP needs details to be set so low to be palatable. On Nvidia's control panel, the Quality-Performance slider is the first entry under 3D Settings and simply provides presets for itemized detail settings.
I recall being able to do that via the computer's control panel. Perhaps I remember wrong

InvalidError

Titan
The only fix for a slow IGP which does not involve out-of-pocket expense is reducing details and resolution until you get bearable frame rates. If that means reducing image quality in some games to the point where the game is unbearable to look at, then you'll have to dig through your sofa to find change for a new GPU.

audioh

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
The only fix for a slow IGP which does not involve out-of-pocket expense is reducing details and resolution until you get bearable frame rates. If that means reducing image quality in some games to the point where the game is unbearable to look at, then you'll have to dig through your sofa to find change for a new GPU.
Do you have an idea why when I open a lot of Chrome tabs I get a warning of low RAM, despite having 8? It's been happening ever since the loss of the GPU.

InvalidError

Titan
Do you have an idea why when I open a lot of Chrome tabs I get a warning of low RAM, despite having 8? It's been happening ever since the loss of the GPU.
Chrome and FireFox use GPU acceleration by default, which means they will need to make the IGP drivers allocate memory for graphics if the IGP doesn't have enough reserved memory to do its job. Chrome and FF can easily consume in excess of 1GB of graphics memory if you have multiple active tabs open at the same time and with the IGP, that comes out of available system memory for other stuff. You can try disabling GPU acceleration in preferences to eliminate this at the expense of slower page rendering time and increased CPU load.