Using custom resolution will damage display?

amadeok

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hello
I play an MMO where i use 3 clients at the same time, and for that purpose it's better fo me to have 1440p resolution, to fit the 3 windows. I have a 1080p display.
I started using the custon resolution on the Nvidia control panel, however i was worried it would damage my monitor as it says in the warning window
I wanted to know if there is any actual risk in doing this, or if there is any other way to fit 3 1024x768 windows in a 1080p display
thanks

??
You can't run 2560x1440 on a 1920x1080 natively. These are physically individual pixels.

I'm not clear on how you are running at "2560x1440" but if you've forced it somehow then either it's the NVidia card (using DSR?) or the monitor itself but either way the 2560x1440 image would still be converted into a 1920x1080 image.

So I'm not clear what you gain. It's used in video games as a form of anti-aliasing to smooth out jagged edges since processing at a higher resolution than downsampling again to fit the monitor is essentially SuperSampling. Again it's for AA.

As for the "clients" windows being smaller I guess that makes sense. It wouldn't be necessary though if you could adjust the size of the window and text... but yes, if you can't do that then the game may be scaling down HUD/text size as resolution increases.

*So all you need to do is run the desktop at its normal 1920x1080 resolution, enable DSR in the NVidia CP, choose a few "X" factors such as 2x, 4x which should then show up as RESOLUTION choices in the game.

I see no reason to do that any other way.

DSR still outputs the normal 1920x1080 signal. If you chose "2560x1440" it would process at that resolution on the graphics card, then sample down to 1920x1080 before sending the signal to the monitor.

RISK?
Zero for DSR. If you aren't doing that I'm confused because I didn't think monitors accepted signals over their native resolution.

amadeok

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013

Thanks for reply. This is the way i do it: https://w0ww.youtube.com/watch?v=o3SYetRiZcI
Using a 1440p resolution enables me to fit the three 1024x768 game clients windows in the screen at the same time without overlapping them (almost). This enables me to play them at the same time better.